Advice setting up a wireless repeater

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

mistamojo

Advice setting up a wireless repeater

Post by mistamojo »

Hey guys,

I have been using the gargoyle router software for over 2 years and I can't say thank you enough. I am currently running a wireless network on a Linksys WRT54GL which is capped to using the 1.3.9 firmware. The network has a large number of users on it (10 or so) and because my studio flat is located out the back from the main house, some users are complaining of the wireless signal strength at various places within the main house.

I know I could just move the router up and into the main house but prefer to have it close by in case I need to hard reset it or monitor it physically. So I'd like to purchase a newer router with some RAM and flash memory so I could upgrade to a later version of the firmware, and use the existing router as a repeater. So, my question is: which router would work best in this set up? SHould I stay using broadcom chipsets? And would it matter if the repeater router was on an earlier version of gargoyle? (eg. main router on latest firmware, repeater on 1.3.9). I've been looking at some of the TP link routers, but wanted to get a bit more info before I spent any money. Looking to spend around 100 bucks (aus) is fine).

Thanks in advance, and thanks to Eric and his team for creating such a good solution for everyone.

bardu

Re: Advice setting up a wireless repeater

Post by bardu »

You will lose half of the wireless bandwidth using WRT54GL as a repeater.
Your first option to expand the wireless coverage should be WDS (very hard to accomplish with non identical units) or ethernet powerline adapters + access points/routers.
TP-LINK solutions are the cheapest available.
You can use
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/deta ... L-WR1043ND
as "master" gateway, use one of the powerline adapters (at least one pair)
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/?categoryid=1862 to connect wrt54gl unit and use it as an access point or "dumb bridge" .
I would detail more but my english isn't that good :oops: .
Good luck.

mistamojo

Post by mistamojo »

thanks for replying! I have a very long ethernet cable running up into the house which i can use to plug one rouer into the next, then have the router inside the house broadcasting wirelessly - would this be the best way to set it up?

My other option was to stay with a linksys router, but get a later model which could take the latest gargoyle firmware, would this be a better option?

mix

Post by mix »

You will probably find that a new N router will have better wireless range and greater sensitivity than your old Linksys. If it were me, I'd put the router in the main house, but near a window that has a direct line of sight to your flat out back.

Otherwise you can use one of the routers as both a router and wireless access point, then connect the other one as only a wireless access point. That way you will avoid double nat.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

bardu

Post by bardu »

mistamojo wrote:thanks for replying! I have a very long ethernet cable running up into the house which i can use to plug one rouer into the next, then have the router inside the house broadcasting wirelessly - would this be the best way to set it up?
Yes.
mistamojo wrote: My other option was to stay with a linksys router, but get a later model which could take the latest gargoyle firmware, would this be a better option?
Not necessarily.
I'm quite surprised of TP-link 1043ND. Runs great latest gargoyle with QoS activated, privoxy server and small nas server. It has better wifi coverage then asus RT-N16.
PS. Beware of the new linksys routers without external antenna. They are crap in indoors wifi coverage.
PPS. Don't ever think to ditch the WRT54GL unit. It has great indoor wireless!