Bridge Mode - How to do it right

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

SpudMuffin

Bridge Mode - How to do it right

Post by SpudMuffin »

After several attempts and many hours, I need help.

Modem (no wireless)>wired>wired router (192.168.0.1)(no wireless)>wired>wireless gargoyle router

What is the most basic way to configure my gargoyle wireless router in bridge mode with my current setup?
Last edited by SpudMuffin on Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

pbix
Developer

Re: Bridge Mode - How to do it right

Post by pbix »

The most basic thing to do is to connect your Gargoyle router directly to your modem. This will give you access to all the great features of Gargoyle.

If it is a ADSL modem then you will also benefit by putting the modem in bridge mode. The help for this is here https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/do ... ario-modem
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

SpudMuffin

Post by SpudMuffin »

OK, I guess my real question is...

If I have setup my gargoyle for "bridge mode" and setup my wan port as a "bridge to LAN"... AND if my wired router that my gargoyle is bridged to hands out 192.168.0.xxx (gateway 192.168.0.1), what should I set my "Bridge IP" and "AP/Gateway IP" too?

Consider that my last attempt at setup would not give me access to my gargoyle ;)

I guess I am not understanding what the Bridge IP nor AP/Gateway IP are when compared to my wired router IP...

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You don’t want it set to Bridge/Repeater mode. That is for a wireless backlink.

Do as Pbix suggested and put your modem into Bridge mode. This will stop it doing anything fancy and just turn it into a pass through modem. Gargoyle will handle the connection entirely.
If this is not possible you need to use DHCP Wired but you will end up with double NAT (not always desirable).
In your original description you’ll end up with triple NAT, which is just ludicrous in my opinion. There must be a better way to set up your network.

If this doesn’t sound like what you want, please redefine your original question to what you want to achieve.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

SpudMuffin

Post by SpudMuffin »

I want my gargoyle wireless router to serve as a passthrough for connecting all of my wifi devices to my wired router and use the features on my wired router for ALL IPs in my house. So basically my gargoyle would serve as the wireless part of my wired router (if that makes sense).

SpudMuffin

Post by SpudMuffin »

BTW - I have 14 wired devices which are served through my wired router. Then I have 17 wireless devices that my gargoyle wireless router originally choked on, but worked fine when I set it up in bridge mode (But was unable to access it again). I would like all of my devices to be served 192.168.0.xxx via DHCP on my wired router.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Then set
Mode; Gateway
Connect Via: disabled
Bridge WAN to LAN
Setup AP as necessary.

this will achieve what you want, but Gargoyle won’t be doing anything *smart*
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

SpudMuffin

Post by SpudMuffin »

OK, but how do I access my gargoyle now?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You need to either set a static IP on it, or your upstream router will give it an IP via DHCP.
Both should work fine.