Bug with LED on WD N750/N600 router with official build but not PL build?

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Chrushev

Bug with LED on WD N750/N600 router with official build but not PL build?

Post by Chrushev »

Hi guys, so I bumped into this "bug" (maybe not a bug... see below) by pure chance. Im a ddwrt and Tomato user for many years and never used Gargoyle until last week.

In effort to get a custom firmware onto a WD N750 router I found Gargoyle Firmware (it and openwrt are the only ones that support those routers). And in effort to find the latest build I came upon Gargoyle PL builds http://dl.eko.one.pl/gargoyle-pl/chaos_calmer/ar71xx/(at the time I didnt know those were custom Polish builds). I flashed it and it worked great (thank goodness they include English :) ).

Anyways after tinkering with it and reading up on development history I came to realization that those are not the official builds, so I downloaded the official 1.10.0 build and flashed that.

To my surprise the 1.10.0 build has LED problems on N750 routers (and I assume N600 has the same issue). Only the power LED light up on the official FW, but all work as expected (except WPS... because burn it with fire) on the PL build.

I dont know what the relationship between official Gargoyle devs and PL dev is. Hopefully its not taboo to bring it up here. I also dont know if his builds include later commits than 1.10.0 build since his was compiled a day after 1.10.0 build and carries version number 1.10.0.1

So Im not sure if these fixes are already in but not in a build or if PL dev added his own fixes?

What I actually think the problem is that official build is using OpenWRT default settings, which as per the wiki https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/wd/n750 only has Power LED on and it says to configure the others manually. Which isnt an issue since OpenWRT gives you GUI options to do so in LuCI. However Gargoyle does not have any LED options, so unless you tinker with it via SSH there is no way to configure them? Now if thats the reason for this, then the question is:

a. Is this on purpose or an oversight?
b. Is there a plan to add a GUI LED config page?

Thanks!

Lantis

Re: Bug with LED on WD N750/N600 router with official build but not PL build?

Post by Lantis »

They don't really include "later commits". Just extra commits for his particular audience.
He can't build 1.10.0 until it is released first, so it always will be dated later.

N600 does not have the problem you are discussing. The openwrt code does not specify an LED config for N750 even though using the same as N600 would probably be ok.

If obsy has a patch which adds in support for these LEDs, i can't find it.

1. Not an oversight, just not needed as it can be set at CLI if required by user
2. No
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.