WRT54GL Brick - I think??

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

propelaheadau

WRT54GL Brick - I think??

Post by propelaheadau »

Hey,

Really sorry, have searched forums and web (found information regarding issue but thought I would ask the Gargoyle brains trust).

Have a WRT54GL that has been bullet proof for near on 15 month....yesterday no connectivity, internal network can not accessed....can not get IP from DHCP.

Set static same same....can not ping no response!!

Ok Have attempted 30//30/30 with no joy, even cracked case and shorted pins 16 and 17 and powered up (found on wiki site).

On boot power light flashed (10 seconds) DMZ comes on solid and so does WLAN. (sounds normal)

Have set HOST to ping 192.168.1.1 on boot up, get one reply and then about five request timed out then get two replies then back to request timed out!!!

I am guessing it is "bricked" for what ever reason......question is it worth purchasing a JTAG cable (looks like only option) or am I wasting my time :shock: ??

Also any other suggestions would be appreciated.. :) ..

pbix
Developer

Re: WRT54GL Brick - I think??

Post by pbix »

Normally bricking occurs during the act of flashing the router or changing some setting on the router. According to your report this happened spontaneously and after many months of proper operation.

To me that is not bricking. Is sounds more like a hardware failure. If the router has hardware problem then JTAG will not be able to fix it. Is the router plugged into a good surge protector? Any storms in the area at the time of the failure? What your report is the classic symptom for that problem but I have to say router failure is not all that uncommon in my experience. These things are built with low price, not long life as the primary goai.

On the other hand, I have the WRT54GL in my collection and I love that router. I also have a JTAG cable and have used it several times. Its not so hard to do if you have a solder iron, a little solder and a parallel port on a computer that you can use. These cables are cheap too, around $10. Be carefull with shorting of any pins. I don't ascribed to such methods. More like to result in a hardware failure than a rescued router.

Now if you want my advice get on EBay and buy a WRT54G-TM which cost about the same a the GL but has way more memory. Then hold a wake for the GL and invite your friends. Make sure to have enough beer to drown the collective grief.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

propelaheadau

Re: WRT54GL Brick - I think??

Post by propelaheadau »

Hi pbix,

Thanks so much for your response, really appreciate your advise and the time you have taken in banging out a response.

I believe you are right with the diagnosis of hardware failure.....and I am pushing the "proverbial" uphill with a JTAG!!

Next I think I will have to make a little raft viking style, dowse it in something flammable and shot at it with lit arrows....nothing to dramatic!

RIP GL RIP.....

Thanks again.....