Does TP-Link MR3420 V5 have Gargoyle Firmware?

Report problems and success stories with Gargoyle on various hardware platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Bilalli

Does TP-Link MR3420 V5 have Gargoyle Firmware?

Post by Bilalli »

Hello
I had tp-link mr3420 v5 and huawei e3272-s153 4g dongle, once it had problem to connect to internet but it worked with correct apn configuration. When I unlocked sim lock on 4g dongle it didnt work again. I have tried rooter firmware, openwrt but it didnt work with 4g dongle (it didnt connect to 4g stick). Now I want to try gargoyle firmware, but i couldnt find which firmware is appropriate for my router.

Thanks

ispyisail

Re: Does TP-Link MR3420 V5 have Gargoyle Firmware?

Post by ispyisail »

DO NOT BUY DEVICES WITH 4MB FLASH / 32MB RAM if you intend to flash an up-to-date and secure OpenWrt version (18.06 or later) onto it! See 4/32 warning for details.

1) 4/32 devices do not have sufficient resources (flash and/or RAM) to provide secure and reliable operation. See OpenWrt on 4/32 devices what you can do now.

2) OpenWrt support for 4/32 devices will end after 2019. After 19.07, no further OpenWrt images will be built for 4/32 devices. See OpenWrt on 4/32 devices what you can do now.
So unlikely your device with work well with gargoyle

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

The v5 is an 8/64 MT76x8 - I have built (but not tested) Gargoyle for this configuration and it would work for a few things but file sharing wouldn't be on the list as there's not enough flash for Samba. I have successfully used an E8372 (HiLink) on a 16/128 MT76x8 (gl.Inet MT300Nv2) with Gargoyle.

OP: did you follow up your problems with ROOter on the forum they use? I ask because that really is the most complete firmware for modem support and the people behind it take pride in getting all sorts of weird and wonderful modems to work using their firmware. If you can't get it running on ROOter, you're not likely to get it running on Gargoyle or any other OpenWrt derived firmware.

Blebekblebek

Post by Blebekblebek »

Bilalli wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:30 pm
Hello
I had tp-link mr3420 v5 and huawei e3272-s153 4g dongle, once it had problem to connect to internet but it worked with correct apn configuration. When I unlocked sim lock on 4g dongle it didnt work again. I have tried rooter firmware, openwrt but it didnt work with 4g dongle (it didnt connect to 4g stick). Now I want to try gargoyle firmware, but i couldnt find which firmware is appropriate for my router.

Thanks
use the pl version https://dl.eko.one.pl/gargoyle-pl/1.12/ ... ps/mt76x8/

at first login attempt change the language into english, that's it.
I don't know the detail what's so different about pl version and original version.

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

For anyone searching for this device there's an experimental build available.

Areba21

Post by Areba21 »

I'm not sure if this is a feature or a bug, but the ROOter programme on the LAN is displaying a false MAC address. The Raspberry Pi Foundation has assigned a "official" MAC address to the RasPi 3B+ I'm using. However, ROOter (or OpenWRT) displays an address in the Local MAC range that changes each time the computer boots.