[Q]MiniDLNA autostart?

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

Buffalo

[Q]MiniDLNA autostart?

Post by Buffalo »

Hello,
I am using gargoyle 1.59 on my wzr-hp-g300nh and I have a problem with minidlna starting at boot. I do not know much about linux but afaik init.d script does the startup thingy. Please help me. Thanks in advance!

EDIT (2013-03-08): I have found out that plugin-gargoyle-initd does the trick. But now I have another problem. The MiniDLNA server starts but it doesn't show any content until i restart it using Gargoyle GUI (System->Services). Could it be because of some priority settings?

apa64

Re: [Q]MiniDLNA autostart?

Post by apa64 »

I think we have encountered the same problem. The start scripts in the new minidlna package are designed for some kind of web configuration UI. See my post: http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... f=5&t=3859

robbo

Post by robbo »

I know an old thread, but wondering if this is still a known problem. I am using 1.7.0 on a WNDR3800 and after reboot of the router I need to 'manually' through the web gui click to rescan files, otherwise there is no files in the dlna server. The server seems to start ok, but it loses its db, so needs to rescan. It wont initiate a rescan itself even if left for a few hours. Any ideas how to fix this, I moved to gargoyle about 3 mths back and it has been much more stable, loving it, only this is annoying me.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yep it's a problem. I think it's because minidlna starts BEFORE usb_storage.

Anyway, to save you the time of having to rescan, just execute the following:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/minidlna stop
kill -9 $(pidof minidlna)
/etc/init.d/minidlna start
This is the same as pressing Rescan with 1 key difference. A rescan wipes your old database. This just triggers it to look for it again.

If you've already hit rescan you'll have to wait for it to finish building the database first of course.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

robbo

Post by robbo »

Ok thanks Lantis. Well at least I know it's not just mine. Thanks for the workaround, but trying to show the wife how to use SSH and use those commands when I am away is just too tough, I'll try it, but leave the rescan and wait button to her. :D

If it is a startup sequence issue, hopefully that can be easily fixed by someone who knows what to change, and post a fix.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

i know what to fix, but i can't push the fix to the main repository without Eric's approval.

The other idea i had was to add a 3rd button on that page called "Refresh Database" which would just run that sequence of commands.

To make it easier for your wife, maybe make a script file with those 3 commands, so that she only has to run 1 command?
Alternatively, install the webshell plugin, and enable remote SSH, and then you can fix it remotely for her :P
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Lantis: It's true you can't push directly to the main repository... but send me a pull request on github! I merge pull requests from contributors all the time. Contributions are very, very welcome.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Robbo do you feel like being a guinea pig for my fix? It seems to work fine for me, although I had a power outage which caused a bunch of problems so I wanted to check on another system first.
Let me know. I'm subscribed to this thread.