Compling with gcc 8.1.0 and binutils 2.31.1

Discuss the technical details of Gargoyle and ongoing development

Moderator: Moderators

joequant
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:57 am

Compling with gcc 8.1.0 and binutils 2.31.1

Postby joequant » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:33 am

Tried to do a compile with gcc 8.1.0 and bintuils 2.31.1 just to see what would happen

Here are some experiences trying to build gargoyle with gcc 8.1.0 and binutils 2.31.1
Updating openwrt to master of 20 August 2018 picks up the changes, and setting the config variables in the target/config to use gcc 8.1.0 and binutils 2.31.1 works.

The big issue is that the binaries for 8.1.0 are larger and so right now the build tries to build a lot of 8M and 4M images for openwrt which fail, and that prevents the gargoyle images from getting built.

There are two build issues that I've run into:

The build seems to build all of the openwrt images for a target even if those are not being build for gargoyle.

If the build fails and I have to restart, the build seems to want to build all of the gargoyle packages from scratch. I think this is because the gargoyle targets overwrite the openwrt files which results in a clean build of the gargoyle packages being triggerred

Also the kernel build asks for user input as to whether or not to optimize for speed or space. I think that there is a missing configuration variable.

joequant
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:57 am

Re: Compling with gcc 8.1.0 and binutils 2.31.1

Postby joequant » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:22 pm

Just an fyi. I took openwrt 18.06.1, copied over the files from openwrt master that made gcc 8.1.0 work and updated procd, and I got a working image.


Return to “Gargoyle Development”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests