Router identification

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

timbo

Router identification

Post by timbo »

Hello,

I have a couple of problems and thought that before I reported them I should try to upgrade to something vaguely current. I have a preinstalled Gargoyle router about 2 years (?) old. It identifies itself as TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v1 and running 1.5.10. So it would seem to make sense to get to 1.8 or there abouts (I assume)

Can someone tell me what that is in terms of the architecture I need to specify to download an update. I would guess its Artheros AR9132, AR71XX would be close enough/workable?

Rgds
Tim

Volaris

Re: Router identification

Post by Volaris »

timbo wrote:Hello,

I have a couple of problems and thought that before I reported them I should try to upgrade to something vaguely current. I have a preinstalled Gargoyle router about 2 years (?) old. It identifies itself as TP-Link TL-WR1043N/ND v1 and running 1.5.10. So it would seem to make sense to get to 1.8 or there abouts (I assume)

Can someone tell me what that is in terms of the architecture I need to specify to download an update. I would guess its Artheros AR9132, AR71XX would be close enough/workable?

Rgds
Tim
Correct, your router's sysupgrade image is in the download page under AR71XX routers, as most Gargoyle routers are.

In fact, here are the direct links to your image. For 1.8.1, here's the sysupgrade:
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download ... pgrade.bin

and for 1.9:
http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download ... pgrade.bin

You can go with either or. Most development is being done on 1.9 now, though. But if you want best stability, 1.8.1 would be it.

To upgrade, download the desired image. Log into your router and under System go to Update Firmware. Because this is a big upgrade, do NOT save your settings. Be patient and give it a few minutes to complete the upgrade. Remember it will be back to stock Gargoyle, so you won't see Wifi. You'll need to log in via ethernet cable and restore your settings/WiFi.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

timbo

Re: Router identification

Post by timbo »

Thank you. I followed the link, downloaded the ,bin file, copied a few screens for reference and upgraded.

Took about 5 minutes or less, all smooth, all good (and it seems to fixed on of my 1.5 issues as a bonus).

Rgds
Tim