Wireless Bridge mode loses DNS

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

jg_hill

Wireless Bridge mode loses DNS

Post by jg_hill »

Hi all. I am new to using Gargoyle so be gentle.

I am using version 1.3.3 on a WRT54G-TM configured as a wireless bridge. The repeater is active and the SSID for both devices is the same. The gateway router is a 2Wire HGV3800-B (U-Verse) running their standard firmware since it can't be changed by me. The gateway is set as the Custom DNS on the WRT. Just for grins, I also setup a Dynamic DNS on the WRT pointing to OpenDNS.

When a PC is connected via a LAN port on the WRT everything works fine - I can see other PC's on the network (which are attached to the 2Wire router via wired and wireless), get the internet (I'm using it now), etc. However, once the WRT sits for a day or two it seems to loose it's little DNS mind. Nothing seems to get trough - web browsing just sits there trying to resolve the hosts. I couldn't even ping the gateway.

Clicking Force Update for the Dynamic DNS seems to have brought it back to life - I could be wrong about that as I started clicking on things looking for the source of the problem and that was one of the last things I clicked. The WRT was NOT reset or rebooted during this process.

Also, when I specify a SSID for the WRT that is different from the gateway SSID I can't connect to the WRT's wireless - is that normal in bridge mode? Or is that still the Broadcom multiple SSID error I've read about?

Delphinus

Re: Wireless Bridge mode loses DNS

Post by Delphinus »

You might be getting a bit confused here. You shouldn't be using dynamic DNS for what you're trying to achieve.
Dynamic DNS is a tool that allows you to set your WAN IP to a hostname, eg myhome.dyndns.org so you can access it from away from home/office.

jg_hill

Post by jg_hill »

Thank you for the reply. I wasn't trying to use Dyn DNS as the primary DNS - just letting readers know I had it turned on. Since my original post I have turned off Dyn DNS.
My real question is why DNS seems to die after a few days?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

This isn't the multiple SSID issue, but at the same time it's not an issue that can be addressed unless I move to the open-source broadcom driver in the 2.6 kernel.

The problem is that broadcom 2.4 bridging relies on the (proprietary, binary) broadcom implementation of arpnat called WET, which I have no way of patching/updating. So, there's really nothing I can do to debug this right now, because the driver being used isn't open-source.