Setting Up Whitelists

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

NGowner

Setting Up Whitelists

Post by NGowner »

I'm stumped. I can't get the router to block a particular website. In fact, I cant get it to block any website! Here's the path I take, maybe you can point out what I'm doing wrong.

Navigate to Firewall/Restrictions

Name New Restriction under Restriction Description
Exception Applies to a single host 192.168.1.108
Click Add (for the IP)
Leave All Day and Every Day checked under Permitted Resources
Uncheck All Network Access under Permitted Resources
Under Website URL(s) select Permit All Except
Select Full URL Contains under dropdown, enter eastbay.com
Click Add New Rule.

The rule now shows up now under Current Exceptions.

Now I click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.

I get the please wait while settings are applied notification. The notification vanishes. I now open a new tab and try to get to www.eastbay.com. The site pulls up no problem.

What have I done wrong?

Lastly, what do the various options mean, and what are the differences between them:

Full URL Matches Exactly
Full URL Contains
Full URL Matches Regex
Domain Matches Exactly
Domain Contains
Domain Matches Regex

Thanks for your assistance.

[NG]Owner

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Setting Up Whitelists

Post by Eric »

I'm willing to bet that the problem is that you added a white-list exception and not a rule, since you say that the url now shows up under exceptions.

Make sure to add the restriction in the upper restriction part of the interface.

NGowner

Post by NGowner »

Eric wrote:I'm willing to bet that the problem is that you added a white-list exception and not a rule, since you say that the url now shows up under exceptions.

Make sure to add the restriction in the upper restriction part of the interface.
Ding Ding Ding ... we have a winner. That's exactly what I did. Now it's working perfectly.

Thanks.

Howabout the other part of the question. What do each of those items mean and how are they different? And does the field accept wildcards (asterisks/question marks)?

[NG]Owner

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Suppose you are visiting "www.goodstuff.com/mypage.html"

If you match based on the "Full URL", the entire URL is considered, in this case "www.goodstuff.com/mypage.html"

If you match based on "Domain", only the domain part is considered, in this case "www.goodstuff.com"

If you require that the url "Matches Exactly", that means it has to be a perfect match to the text you type in. If you want to block based on domain "stuff.com", your site will not be blocked -- the text would have to be "www.goodstuff.com".

If you require that the url "Contains" your match, then the site will be blocked if any text specified occurs. In this case "stuff.com" would end up blocking "www.goodstuff.com".

If you require that the url "Matches Regex", the match text is treated as a regular expression. You can google "regular expression" to get a long list of resources on how regular expression matching works.