Can't log into web admin after reflashing

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

westbywest

Can't log into web admin after reflashing

Post by westbywest »

I reflashed my Fonera+ to the bleeding edge firmware (upgraded from bleeding edge firmware circa May 09). Configuration settings were preserved by making a backup of the settings, reflashing, and then reapplying the backed up settings.

I can not seem to login into the web admin console now. I get the htpasswd dialog asking for admin username/password, which I enter successfully, but then I am forwarded to another login page asking for just the "admin password," no username.

I can not find the correct password for this 2nd auth barrier, including generic values like "admin," "password," or "root." This 2nd auth barrier appears to have been added recently to the bleeding edge firmware, prompting my assumption the 2nd password has not been set.

I can still SSH into router fine, and I find these password settings, which appear correct:

/etc/passwd

Code: Select all

root:blahblahblah:0:0:root:/root:/bin/ash
nobody:*:65534:65534:nobody:/var:/bin/false
daemon:*:65534:65534:daemon:/var:/bin/false
/etc/httpd_gargoyle.password

Code: Select all

admin:blahblahblah
root:blahblahblah
The password hashes in the 2 files are identical, but I can not find where the password for the 2nd auth barrier is stored.

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Can't log into web admin after reflashing

Post by Eric »

The .htpasswd authentication has been removed, in favor of a new authentication system. This is because the new system is more secure against XSRF attacks. The password for the new authentication system is the root/admin password, which by default is "password"

westbywest

Post by westbywest »

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I did read that the auth system is being refactored. The problem I'm having is that that I can not login with either either the existing root/admin password or a generic password like 'password.'

When I connect to https://192.168.1.1/, I first get an htpasswd-style dialog asking for username/password, where I enter user name root and the password. Then I'm redirected to the page https://192.168.1.1/login.sh asking for just the "admin password." At this page, the root password entered previously does not work, nor does 'password.' I just get redirected back to the page, and no "incorrect password" message. How can I reset the password being asked at https://192.168.1.1/login.sh ?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

There are two things that are odd: 1) you're still seeing the basic authentication window (you should no longer see it) and 2) Your existing root password isn't working.

I'm going to guess you restored from a backup that over-wrote the necessary config options for the new system. Try this: re-flash the firmware with fresh bleeding edge. Login via ssh and copy the default /etc/config/gargoyle and /etc/config/httpd_gargoyle files to your root directory. Then restore from the backup, and then copy those files back. I think that should fix the problem.

vfr800

Post by vfr800 »

I have flashed my wrt54gl to gargoyle and am stuck at the login.sh page. The admin password will not take at all. I have tried to logon using ssh to re-flash but cannot login as admin or root. Help!

blindbox

Post by blindbox »

Wait.. have you tried to clear the browser cache/use a different browser? I had this problem before, the router flashing page was showing a totally different one than what its version should be showing.
TP-LINK WR1043ND : Currently on Gargoyle trunk builds

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

vfr800 wrote:I have flashed my wrt54gl to gargoyle and am stuck at the login.sh page. The admin password will not take at all. I have tried to logon using ssh to re-flash but cannot login as admin or root. Help!
If the 'clearing the browser cache' doesn't help - do this:

1) recover via tftp - install dd-wrt temporarily - check dd-wrt wiki
2) do a couple 'reset to defaults' in dd-wrt interface
3) re-flash gargoyle - you CAN do it from dd-wrt GUI - wait 5 minutes
4) try to login again with default password of 'password'

This should get you a fresh Gargoyle load - use 1.3.1 broadcom
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Just to be clear... you do realize the password gets reset when you re-flash the router, right?

You need to login with the password "password"

vfr800

Post by vfr800 »

The problem is when I try to telnet, it looks for the root or admin password (I have tried "password" and "admin" as passwords) but cannot get in at all!

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Telnet is permanently disabled on Gargoyle because it is not secure. You need to use SSH or login via the web interface.