WDR4300 with Gargoyle 1.12.0 trying to set up External Hard Drive

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

MHarv

WDR4300 with Gargoyle 1.12.0 trying to set up External Hard Drive

Post by MHarv »

Good afternoon! So I will start off with I am very new to this type of thing. I have used tomato, DD-WRT, and now Gargoyle with routers. Having said that the reason for reflashing from stock software to the open source is because all the stock software was unstable about 4 months into use.

Fast forward to now, my TPLink N750 (WDR4300) is running strong and has been for 15 months. I have not had a single hickup but now I want to take a little more advantage of what Gargoyle and the router has to offer. My wife is a professional photographer and I want to set up an external hard drive to run off the router and be accessible to her MacBook Pro to store photos on. Ideally as her business grows I would like to upgrade to a more capable router, but right now I want to learn how to make this work.

I have tried to set up the hard drive in my router software. I plug in the hard drive (WD passport as a test set up, but will eventually be 8 TB WD Elements), and it is recognized. I can set access restrictions and name the route but I am not able to save the settings. At the top of the screen there is a warning, "You need to install an additional package to use shared disks!".

Any help is appreciated!
Cheers,
Mike

Lantis

Re: WDR4300 with Gargoyle 1.12.0 trying to set up External Hard Drive

Post by Lantis »

In the plugins menu install "USB storage Support for Gargoyle" to get the full sharing ability. You may need additional space to do this.

In my opinion, if this is for a professional use, get a NAS.
Hard drives attached to routers just don't perform as well as they should.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.