Rules Don't Seem to Work

If your problem doesn't fall into one of the other categories, report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

roblcecil

Rules Don't Seem to Work

Post by roblcecil »

I purchased one of the preconfigured Gargoyle routers from this site and I've chained it to my main 802.11n router (a Linksys Wrt160n v3). My intent was to use the rules and exceptions and let my kids connect up to the Gargoyle, and keep my Linksys router SSID hidden and only use that for things like Netflix, etc. So far it seems to work, I configured the Gargoyle so "Ethernet connects to: LAN", with a fixed IP address (192.168.1.106), Wireless Mode = AP, and I turned off my main router/AP wireless radio just to make sure the gargoyle was working.

The problem is that no matter what I do, the rules don't seem to be working... I just created a simple "Block-All" rule (Applies-to:All Hosts, All Day/Everyday, Restrict:All Network Access), and it doesn't seem to be working at all. I've tried simple website specific filtering like fark.com and those fail too.

I may have configured this guy incorrectly.

Thanks, Rob

pbix
Developer

Re: Rules Don't Seem to Work

Post by pbix »

I am having trouble getting this to work in v1.3.9.
What version are you using?
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

It seems to be working for me.

roblcecil: Can you clarify your post a little? Are you saying this isn't working for you on the pocket router you bought here, or just on your newer WRT160N? Also, keep in mind that while the WRT160NL is an AR71XX model, the WRT160N is a newer broadcom model which I do not own and hasn't been fully tested.

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I think the problem you're is experiencing is 1.3.9 specific -- pbix managed to track this down to a bug in the save settings and it should be fixed in the repository now. In the mean time (before the next release), you can make the saved settings take effect by rebooting the router.

kun1he2

Post by kun1he2 »

Yeah, for access restrictions, took quite a fair bit of mucking around before realizing that I had to reboot the router for the new rules to take effect - simply saving is not sufficient. Too bad I didn't see this thread earlier...

Also, I've been trying out regex rules - noticed that \d for digits and {number} for repeats is not supported.

For example, I was trying to add a rule which included matching of a sequence of 16 hexadecimal numbers, e.g. [\da-f]{16}. Initially thought that regex matching was broken, but managed to pinpoint the cause, and workaround it after quite a fair bit of trial and error by fully expanding the \d and repeats to [0-9a-f][0-9a-f][0-9a-f][...].

kun1he2

Post by kun1he2 »

fyi, just realized that "Save Settings" in other sections (not just Firewall, Access Restrictions) may also require a reboot to ensure proper functioning of the rules.

Oxxy

Post by Oxxy »

I can say that the rules are not working.

Bare with me here, i am certainly open to it being a user error, however i am a network engineer, and i have ruled out anything obvious.

No matter what combination of times, IP's or MACs that are used, the users can access the internet at all times.

I even thought it might be worded incorrectly, that is the time period entered could be allowing or disallowing access, however in or out of the time period entered the users have access.

The NTP is set up correctly, and i have saved in multiple locations and physically powered off the router, checked the settings were saved, and it still wont work

The only setting that works is applying the rules to everyone, i.e. cutting the internet access for anyone on that device.

Any help suggestions? i am all ears

r0ck

Post by r0ck »

I also had problems getting access restrictions to work properly. What finally worked me was adding an exception (whitelist) that applied to all hosts except for the ones that had the restriction.

My specific example: Teenage son's computer on an static assigned IP. Set restriction to block URL containing "facebook". Set schedule to everyday from 22:00-06:00. Basically wanting to keep him from staying up late on school nights. This setup alone does not work.

To get this to work, I had to add an exception, applied to all hosts except the IP specified in the restriction. I allowed all network access all the time for this exception.

Once this was done, the restriction began working. I had tried all other methods to get this working. Rebooting after saving, MAC address vs. IP address, etc. This was what worked for me. I did actually use both the static IP and the MAC address. Not sure if it's necessary to do both, but that's just what I've got.

Hope this helps.

Oxxy

Post by Oxxy »

Cheers r0ck, i'll give that a shot and see if it works.