QoS ACC ping target

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

SaulG00dm4n

QoS ACC ping target

Post by SaulG00dm4n »

Help me understanding what should ping target, i did a tracert on google dns 8.8.8.8 and this is what i got

But im actually using my wan ip Adress to ping target but im not really sure if ACC is doing is job right

d3fz

Re: QoS ACC ping target

Post by d3fz »

According to the QoS documentation:
Use non-standard ping target: The ACC needs to bounce pings off of a computer on the other side your WAN link in order to determine the amount of congestion which is present. By default the ACC uses the gateway assigned to the WAN port as this target, however, this is often not the appropriate target and must be changed. Unfortunately I am not sure how to robustly determine a good ping target for all cases so you will have to pay attention to this setting. If your ACC is not working this is the first thing to play with. Remember that the ACC controls the congestion between your router and this target so you need to pick something on the ISP side of your WAN connection. One target that I often use for experimentation is the OpenDNS server 208.67.222.222 so if the default is not working then try that one next. The optimum target to use will be one between your router and this server. You can use traceroute (Google it) to examine all the routers your traffic went through to get to OpenDNS. Then looking at the times listed in its output pick the one with the first significant time increase or play with several until you find the closest one to your router that works with ACC.
Try setting it to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS) and see how it goes.
Last edited by d3fz on Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

SaulG00dm4n

Post by SaulG00dm4n »

so i set it to google dns 8.8.8.8 it gave me a filtered ping of 54 ms and than set it to my wan gateway deafault ip and it gave me a filtered ping of 7 ms, i guess i should stick with my wan gateway ip, but with the wan gateway ip i get ping - off is this normal?

d3fz

Post by d3fz »

SaulG00dm4n wrote:so i set it to google dns 8.8.8.8 it gave me a filtered ping of 54 ms and than set it to my wan gateway deafault ip and it gave me a filtered ping of 7 ms, i guess i should stick with my wan gateway ip
As stated here:
By default the ACC uses the gateway assigned to the WAN port as this target, however, this is often not the appropriate target and must be changed.
When i first start tinkering with QoS settings, i found out that Google DNS (8.8.8.8) worked better than my WAN Gateway IP, it was more stable and reliable. It helped in my case.
with the wan gateway ip i get ping - off is this normal?
It's normal, it happens when the active congestion controller is in IDLE state. It only turns into ACTIVE state when there's enough LOAD in the link (around 4000kbps, i guess ?).

So, i would set to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 and see how it goes.
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 - Gargoyle 1.12.X
TP-Link WR842ND v2 - Gargoyle 1.10.X
TP-Link RE450 AC v2 - Stock FW 1.0.4
TP-Link WA850RE v1.2 - LEDE 17.01.1

pkm

Post by pkm »

Its worth trying all and then comparing the performance imo. Start with the hop closest to you and all the way up to the destination itself.