Just need to know

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

MickO

Just need to know

Post by MickO »

Hello all.
A few questions.
Can I have a guest WiFi (think the answer is Yes judging by latest comments)
Can I bind Mac to IP from GUI for WOL?
Can I port forward required ports from GUI for WOL?

Was using DD WRT for quite a while, but went to OPEN WRT as the upgrade web administration is a lot better, possibly?
Now seeing that Gargoyle is now using Chaos Charmer and hopefully the bits that I need from a GUI and not command line, I want to try it. So before I destroy my OPEN WRT setup, anyone got the answers please?
cheers

Rog66

Re: Just need to know

Post by Rog66 »

Yes to all of the above :-) Although if you want to send WOL requests to the broadcast mac (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF) from the WAN port you will need to add a line of code to add the ip address you want to attach to the broadcast mac into the arp table for forwarding the WOL requests to, same as with openwrt/dd-wrt. I add one line of code to crontabs to do this for me.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Rog66 wrote:Yes to all of the above :-) Although if you want to send WOL requests to the broadcast mac (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF) from the WAN port you will need to add a line of code to add the ip address you want to attach to the broadcast mac into the arp table for forwarding the WOL requests to, same as with openwrt/dd-wrt. I add one line of code to crontabs to do this for me.
Any chance of sharing your code?

Rog66

Post by Rog66 »

Sure

Thinking about it I actually use 2 lines as follows

In the rc.local file in /etc add the line

Code: Select all

ip neigh add 192.168.x.y lladdr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff nud permanent dev br-lan
where 192.168.x.y is the ip address you want to assign to the broadcast mac address i.e. any address you're not using or likely to use in your dhcp range (I use .254)

Then add

Code: Select all

0 * * * * ip neigh change 192.168.x.y lladdr ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff nud permanent dev br-lan
to the /etc/crontabs/root file

I used to just add the first line to the rc.local file but several versions ago there was a bug where the mac address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff kept getting deleted in the arp table so it was listed as 00:00:00:00:00:00 and broadcast WOL packets from the WAN stopped working. To overcome this I used the above crontab line to change the mac address back every hour. Not sure if that bug ever got fixed and if this line can be taken out.

I also add the IP address to the dhcp fixed ip list in the GUI so it never gets assigned to another mac address by mistake.

MickO

Post by MickO »

Thanks. With DDwrt I had to cron the bindings as DD kept losing them on the version I was using.. Was hoping for a GUI version, like the original TPLink GUI.

example of a cron job to BIND IP to MAC and keep alive the BIND
nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn is the MAC

0 * * * * arp -s 192.168.1.73 nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn
0 * * * * arp -s 192.168.1.74 nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn
0 * * * * arp -s 192.168.1.75 nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn

example of a start up command to BIND IP to MAC
arp -s 192.168.1.73 nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn
arp -s 192.168.1.74 nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn
arp -s 192.168.1.75 nn:nn:nn:nn:nn:nn

I am not an expert, so any errors, please correct.

By the way, before I do any work, I use HTTrack Website capture software FREE! to keep a virtual copy of the router as a backup. I can browse the pages just as if I was looking at my router.
http://www.httrack.com

Rog66

Post by Rog66 »

You shouldn't need to code the bindings for any machines in your dhcp list - the GUI works for that . The problem is that the dummy broadcast address wont bind just by putting it into the dhcp list (a machine never requests an ip address from the router for this mac address) so you have to use arp. I only ever lost the broadcast address binding in both dd-wrt or openwrt/gargoyle.

MickO

Post by MickO »

Finally got the firmware loaded and setup. Disappointed to find no Gui for binding IP to MAC and nothing like DD WRT Command shell. But early days yet, and they might show up somewhere as a plug in?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Connection -> DHCP
you didn't look very hard lol
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

MickO

Post by MickO »

http://192.168.1.1/dhcp.sh
That just shows STATIC IP's as issued by DHCP according to rule list.
NOT IP MAC Binding. There is a difference. Where is the MAC binding GUI otherwise its a command line job or edit scripts?

Perhaps I should enhance the request as, would hope for a GUI to add an ARP Mac IP binding for WOL purposes.
cheers

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

That just shows STATIC IP's as issued by DHCP according to rule list.
NOT IP MAC Binding
What is the difference?