Questions about my router and Gargoyle as a switch

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

thunderdust

Questions about my router and Gargoyle as a switch

Post by thunderdust »

Hi, I've been researching Gargoyle, and this looks like the ideal setup for my home! But like any noob, I'm looking for help. Thanks in advance for any help offered, and for your patience. I have done a lot of reading/research, but I'm still confused with many things.

MAIN Router: DIR-850L
Secondary router: WNDR3300 (currently on DD-WRT) that I want to put Gargoyle on, using it as a switch for my guests to wifi into.

My questions:

1. What versions do you think I can install Gargoyle on my WNDR3300? It has 4MB of flash, and from what I read, this won't work well with newer versions. I see a guy in 2010 got it to work (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=644), using version 1.2.3.

2. Can I use Gargoyle as a SECOND router, acting as a switch (wired to my DIR-850L), so I can use Gargoyle to serve as a "guest" router to track and restrict bandwidth for guests only? FYI when I use DD-WRT like this (as a switch), DD-WRT is unable to record monthly bandwidth usage, maybe because it is "just" acting as a switch so the data just "passes on through" the router, so to speak? I'm not sure.

NOTE: I only need to track guests, so I'm hoping to keep my DIR-850L as my main router. It's signal reaches the whole house, while the WNDR3300 doesn't.

I'm open to questions and ideas too!

Thanks! :)

nworbnhoj

Re: Questions about my router and Gargoyle as a switch

Post by nworbnhoj »

thunderdust wrote:1. What versions do you think I can install Gargoyle on my WNDR3300?
I think I would be starting with Gargoyle 1.6.2
thunderdust wrote:2. Can I use Gargoyle as a SECOND router, acting as a switch (wired to my DIR-850L), so I can use Gargoyle to serve as a "guest" router to track and restrict bandwidth for guests only?
Gargoyle manages Quotas & QoS on the WAN port. So if you create a physical connection between a LAN port on the DIR850L and the WAN port on WNDR330 running Gargoyle then you will be able to manage clients connected to the WNDR3300
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

thunderdust

Post by thunderdust »

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate that. Excited to give this a shot!

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I don't think 1.6.2 does guest mode? (can't remember)

nworbnhoj

Post by nworbnhoj »

ispyisail wrote:I don't think 1.6.2 does guest mode? (can't remember)
No 1.6.2 does not do Guest mode. But @thunderdust is devoting the entire Gargoyle router to "Guests" and serving his private needs out of the gateway router
Can you help someone else get Gargoyle up and running?
TL-WDR3600 : Gargoyle 1.9.0 : NBN FixedWireless
TL-WR1043ND-V2 : Gargoyle 1.8.0 : 3G Huawei E160E

danymarc

Post by danymarc »

nworbnhoj wrote:
ispyisail wrote:@thunderdust is devoting the entire Gargoyle router to "Guests" and serving his private needs out of the gateway router
@nworbnhoj you are correct
@thunderdust if you dont want double NAT on your network and dont want to set DIR as bridge, use this scenario https://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/do ... ario-modem

thunderdust

Post by thunderdust »

Thank you all for your help. I ended up acquiring a DIR-615 and using Gargoyle 1.6.2 on it, and it is working AMAZINGLY. I love Gargoyle. I will be sharing with my friends :)