Congestion Control Issues

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

varmint

Congestion Control Issues

Post by varmint »

I've set up congestion control in download QOS page with ping limit and ping target set to auto. I've noticed that the calculated link load is substantially lower most of the time compared to actual usage e.g. 100-200kbps when actual load is greater than 3-4000kbps. It correctly reports the number of active classes but link load calculation is wrong.

Also rarely, when in active mode it sets the fair link limit to almost 3/4th or 1/2 of bandwidth actually available however my modem reports a stable dsl connection with no snr fluctuations. I understand it needs to sacrifice some bandwidth to work correctly but should it be going that low?

Restarting the router helps sometimes, but it returns back to this situation.

What could possibly be causing all this? Other than this issue its working perfectly.
TL-WR1043nd v2.1 running Gargoyle v 1.8.0

Lantis

Re: Congestion Control Issues

Post by Lantis »

Your DSL connection doesn't necessary need to be of poor quality, only your link to your ISP and the throughput they can provide to you.

Can you show a screenshot of when the calculation is wrong?
How are you testing this?

Regards.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

varmint

Post by varmint »

I can't seem to attach pictures gives this message:

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

use imgur
http://imgur.com/

Code: Select all

[img]http://i.imgur.com/74HtSJKb.jpg[/img]

varmint

Post by varmint »

Ok here is the link

http://imgur.com/a/J6OFU

edit:ispy

varmint

Post by varmint »

It seems to work correctly sometimes, but not always.

varmint

Post by varmint »

Seems it usually happens in idle mode, is that normal?

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

varmint wrote:Seems it usually happens in idle mode, is that normal?
Idle just means that the router is detecting less than 15% (I believe) bandwidth usage than the download bandwidth you put, so ACC is off.

In the screenshots above, did you take them at the same time? If so, link load should definitely be higher. A good way to test would be to start a big download (say a torrent or an Ubuntu/Linux Mint download) and see if the link load number moves up. It's not instant, but it should catch up.

Also, if you add up all the minimum bandwidths in your QoS it adds up to more than what's available.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

varmint

Post by varmint »

Thanks for your response.
These screenshots were taken within a second or two of each other, link load actually went down a little afterwards.
Not all of the applications listed in qos work simultaneously only two or three so I don't think combined load ever goes above max bandwidth, should it be setup to be lower than total bandwidth in any case?
I think my qos setup may be causing this issue. Should I post screenshots of my qos setup?

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Please read the Qos wiki on this site http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=qos.

In particular, until your connection is saturated your QoS settings have no meaning so further screen shots should only show this condition.

You should not be using Min bandwidth in your rules, set these to zero. You should simplify your setup by removing most of your rules until you understand better how the system can work. You should test each rule as you add them to make sure they do what you want.

These would be my observations.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM