The best gigabit, 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi, router for gargoyle?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

SergeS
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Re: The best gigabit, 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi, router for gargoyl

Post by SergeS »

jdancer wrote:I brought a couple of Netgear WNDR3800 on eBay. I immediately flashed them to Gargoyle. No problems. I have one just using the 5Ghz band and another just 2.4Ghz. I got the WNDR3800 specifically because you can recover from a bad flash.

Zero issues.


Nice point, thank you. Especially - vertically router will fit better in designated area in my closet :-). Are there any wifi range comparison, as fas as any other opinions, of wndr3800 vs wdr3600 on gargoyle?

A see Gargoyle's download page - it is existing only for tp wdr3600v1, are there any information about wdr3600v2 ? I did not found anything... Is it safe to by wdr3600 for gargoyle without any specific information about version?

tehpensfan
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:35 am

Re: The best gigabit, 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi, router for gargoyl

Post by tehpensfan »

SergeS wrote:
jdancer wrote:I brought a couple of Netgear WNDR3800 on eBay. I immediately flashed them to Gargoyle. No problems. I have one just using the 5Ghz band and another just 2.4Ghz. I got the WNDR3800 specifically because you can recover from a bad flash.

Zero issues.


Nice point, thank you. Especially - vertically router will fit better in designated area in my closet :-). Are there any wifi range comparison, as fas as any other opinions, of wndr3800 vs wdr3600 on gargoyle?

A see Gargoyle's download page - it is existing only for tp wdr3600v1, are there any information about wdr3600v2 ? I did not found anything... Is it safe to by wdr3600 for gargoyle without any specific information about version?


It doesn't look like a version 2 of the wdr3600 exists as tp-link's website only has firmware for v1
http://www.tp-link.com/ca/products/details/?model=TL-WDR3600#down
-
1 x WRT54GL v1.1 Gargoyle 1.5.6
1 x TL-WR740N v4.23 Gargoyle 1.6.2
1 x TL-WR740N v4.26 Gargoyle 1.5.11
1 x TL-WR740N v4.26 Gargoyle 1.8.1
1 x TL-WDR3600 v1.3 Gargoyle 1.5.11

makjim
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:07 pm

Re: The best gigabit, 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi, router for gargoyl

Post by makjim »

I have installed the V1 firmware to the 3600V2 for couple of weeks. So far, no problem found.

SergeS
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Re: The best gigabit, 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi, router for gargoyl

Post by SergeS »

makjim wrote:I have installed the V1 firmware to the 3600V2 for couple of weeks. So far, no problem found.


Are you sure? I have seen only 1.* revisions, may be you have V1.2, not a V2?

LMP
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:09 am

Re: The best gigabit, 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi, router for gargoyl

Post by LMP »

I'm thinking about WDR4300 or WDR3600 for be a Gateway with OpenVPN Server and Dual Wan for redundancy. What u guys think about?

Gargoyle has any plugin for DUAL WAN?

SergeS
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Re: The best gigabit, 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi, router for gargoyl

Post by SergeS »

jdancer wrote:I brought a couple of Netgear WNDR3800 on eBay. I immediately flashed them to Gargoyle. No problems. I have one just using the 5Ghz band and another just 2.4Ghz. I got the WNDR3800 specifically because you can recover from a bad flash.

Zero issues.


Ok, I am trying to do the same, have bought wndr3800 on ebay, just received it, tried to load gargoyle - failed...
Details here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5783

What i am doing wrong? :-)

sajjadhalai
Posts: 108
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:54 am

Re: The best gigabit, 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi, router for gargoyl

Post by sajjadhalai »

these all are good but had less flash rom and RAM..
try Buffallo N600 having 32 rom-128 ram with gigabit.. dual band..300-300

LMP
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:09 am

Re: The best gigabit, 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi, router for gargoyl

Post by LMP »

sajjadhalai wrote:these all are good but had less flash rom and RAM..
try Buffallo N600 having 32 rom-128 ram with gigabit.. dual band..300-300


My only options are WDR4300 or WDR3600 :x

I need it for a small enterprise, just to manage.

SergeS
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:09 pm

Re: The best gigabit, 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi, router for gargoyl

Post by SergeS »

LMP wrote:
sajjadhalai wrote:these all are good but had less flash rom and RAM..
try Buffallo N600 having 32 rom-128 ram with gigabit.. dual band..300-300


My only options are WDR4300 or WDR3600 :x

I need it for a small enterprise, just to manage.



I have bought initially netgear wndr3800 but i could not install gargoyle to it such as it was not a regular wndr3800, but wndr3800ch, currently not supporting by gargoyle. So, i have returned it back to seller and bought tplink wdr3600. Works perfectly, wifi range (2.4g) slightly better than on my old netgear wndr3700v2, when it was new.

Joc
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:53 pm

Re: The best gigabit, 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi, router for gargoyl

Post by Joc »

jdancer wrote:I brought a couple of Netgear WNDR3800 on eBay. I immediately flashed them to Gargoyle. No problems. I have one just using the 5Ghz band and another just 2.4Ghz. I got the WNDR3800 specifically because you can recover from a bad flash.

Zero issues.

+10 to above!! :D

I purchased a TP-Link WDR3600 and it dropped out regularly on 2.4ghz.

Then purchased a Netgear WNDR3800 off FleaBay, flashed it with Gargoyle 1.60 and system has been rock solid as for months now! Zero issues :lol:

The Netgear WINDR3800 for Gargoyle is raved about on Whirlpool forums (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au)

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2069623

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=whirlpool+wndr3800+gargoyle&oq=whirlpool+wndr3800+gargoyle&aqs=chrome..69i57.11286j0j8&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8

Post Reply