Western Digital My Net N750 support?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

tapper

Re: Western Digital My Net N750 support?

Post by tapper »

Hi heres just the bin file:

)https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/537 ... pgrade.bin)

Just flash the bin from the webinterface

quote="griftopia"]Okay I will try version from your dropbox. Do I need to download the entire 7z file and then upgrade using "sysupgrade" version? Also can I simply do it from the Gargoyle UI or do I need to do from scratch from recovery console?[/quote]
Last edited by tapper on Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The forum was bracking my link.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

griftopia

Post by griftopia »

tapper wrote:Hi heres just the bin file:

)https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/537 ... pgrade.bin)

Just flash the bin from the webinterface

quote="griftopia"]Okay I will try version from your dropbox. Do I need to download the entire 7z file and then upgrade using "sysupgrade" version? Also can I simply do it from the Gargoyle UI or do I need to do from scratch from recovery console?
[/quote]

Yes i did. Please see my previous post. I have tried everything, mixed mode, g, n, 2.5ghz, 5ghz, different channels, channel widths, crosschecked passwords and ssids between access point and the gargoyle bridge. The only thing i can think off is just like openwrt, gargoyle does not support bridge mode for atheros chipsets. The only reason i am persisting is because you said you got it to work, but for the life of me, i cannot.
ISP Provided Router [Irrelevant]
WD MyNetN750 Client Bridge - Garygoyle @ 5.0Ghz Yes !!!

tapper

Post by tapper »

Hi what router do you have as your AP?

I don't know what else to suggest.
I used a e3000 and a tp-link WDR3600 as my ap and the n750 worked as a bridge with both.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

griftopia

Post by griftopia »

Okay, so I don't think it should matter but this is my configuration.

Verizon FIOS Router, LinkSys EA4500 Access Point. I use the EA4500 to give me dual band wireless N at 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz. The Verizon FIOS router wifi I generally keep off unless I need it (like when I tried to connect to with the Gargoyle bridge mode in case it was a N issue).

Both the EA4500 SSIDs are setup with WPA2 (Personal) using Stock Firmware. I have 2 Client Bridges running Tomato (E2500 and E2000) at 5GHz in two different rooms. Both yield 300MBPs or close to it. Work fabulously. For a 3rd room I was seeking another Client Bridge capable of 450MBPs, hence the purchase of WD MyNet N750. The EA4500 is capable of delivering 450MBPs.

So I hope the fact that the EA4500 is on stock firmware (I don't think it is even hackable) is my problem. The two Tomato bridges certainly have no issues with it. I'm going to keep trying with the WD MyNet N750, but I do feel the problem is with the firmware and the kind soul who develops it will one day fix my problem. I have heard good things about this router and I don't believe you can get a cheaper 450MBPs router.

PS. I can't help get the feeling my problem is negotiating WPA2 between the WD and EA4500. After all it scans and finds the SSIDs from the EA4500. Why the heck can't it connect?

griftopia

Post by griftopia »

FOUND MY PROBLEM !!!

WINDOWS !@#$%^&* 8.1

The other day I installed a PCI-E wireless N card in an old laptop. Damn thing will not connect under windows. Will connect with linux.

So I decided to try something. The computer I was testing with was Windows 8. Instead I connected with a computer with Windows 7.

WORKS !!!

So now, just help me with one thing. I SSHed into the Gargoyle. Did iwconfig. Speed is 300MBPs. WHY? Why not 450 MBPS?

And of course, if you can tell me what could be my problem with my ethernet jack with Windows 8.1 that would be super.

tapper

Post by tapper »

I feel your pane! It's really strange!

what about setting then750 as your AP?

And you are rite about the n750 being a good router, i love my n750 I swopped it out for my wrd3600 and now use it for my AP.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

tapper

Post by tapper »

griftopia wrote:FOUND MY PROBLEM !!!

WINDOWS !@#$%^&* 8.1

The other day I installed a PCI-E wireless N card in an old laptop. Damn thing will not connect under windows. Will connect with linux.

So I decided to try something. The computer I was testing with was Windows 8. Instead I connected with a computer with Windows 7.

WORKS !!!

So now, just help me with one thing. I SSHed into the Gargoyle. Did iwconfig. Speed is 300MBPs. WHY? Why not 450 MBPS?

And of course, if you can tell me what could be my problem with my ethernet jack with Windows 8.1 that would be super.

AHAHA f**ing hel! I have no idea about windows 8.1 being a peace of crap, lol dus anyone?

not shore about the 300 mbps thing try a speed test and see if it's telling the truth. In my experience weather it says 150 mbps or 300 mbps makes no diffrence you have to measure actual through put.

I am not a expert on this....
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

tapper

Post by tapper »

By the way i am really happy that you got Gargoyle to work for you. It's the best fermwair by a long shot IMO. I am not a dev, i just help out around the forums.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

griftopia

Post by griftopia »

Well I don't think the WD N750 is a bad router. It does run "cool". Linksys routers heat a lot which is why I looked elsewhere, not to mention the only option left for me was E4200V1 so I could run as a client bridge and get 450 mbps. I got the WD for $16 shipped. No way I could get any other router than supports 450 mbps for that price.

Anyways, so I momentarily got 364 MBPs on the WD!. So it is definitely trying. So let me ask you this. Could there be a problem with the radio for 5.0Ghz under Gargoyle? As I mentioned earlier I am NOT able to set either 40MHz above/below. When I try it takes a while to save and then when it comes back it is back at 20Mhz.

To get full 450 mbps I think I need to use 40Mhz channel width. I think that's something the firmware needs to fix. Hopefully I'm right and the author will fix it some day. At 20 Mhz I was never able to reach 300 mbps with my other bridges because of interference from bluetooth, microwaves, etc. It took me couple of years to realize the value of dual band (doh!). So I don't know why Gargoyle does not provide "Auto" option, and why neither of the 40 Mhz settings stick. Very frustrating.