Confused by the Wireless Repeater/Bridge options

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

ChadW

Confused by the Wireless Repeater/Bridge options

Post by ChadW »

First off, sorry in advance for the newb questions.

I have Gargoyle on my TP-Link WDR3600. I managed to get it to work as a repeater but I'm uncertain if I set it up correctly.

The router is plugged into an ethernet jack in my house which is connected to my cable modem in my garage. The router is setup to "Connect via WDS". "Connect Via Client Bridge" did not work but I'm uncertain what the difference between these two options are. Can someone please explain?

The cable modem is also a wireless router. Both the TP-Link and the modem have the same SSID and it does appear that I can roam (which is a great thing) although I'm not 100% sure how to tell. All I know is that independent of where I am in the house, I always only see a single network and I can connect. I don't appear to lose my network connection as I walk around.

One other question I have is, this setup requires the router to be plugged into an ethernet jack and then rebroadcast the signal. This is fine in this case but in another area I'd prefer it to act as a bridge whereby it picks up the wireless signal and then allows me to plug devices into it. How do I enable this mode instead?

Thanks,
Chad
Last edited by ChadW on Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

danymarc

Re: Understanding how to setup a repeater

Post by danymarc »

In Connection you find all the guides http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/dok ... oyle_setup at start for now I suggest you to use a different SSID so you can see roaming.
Only Unify from UBNT has Zero hand Off (roaming)

ChadW

Re: Understanding how to setup a repeater

Post by ChadW »

I read the documentation but I am still confused. Let me explain what I want to do. I want my secondary router to connect to the primary router via a wire and then rebroadcast the same ssid so you can hop. More importantly, I would like computers connected to the main router to see computers on the secondary router. This means to me that I need to setup the secondary router to be a repeater and bridge.

First question: I'm confused by what I have read. Does setting up a router as a bridge or a repeater cause bandwidth reduction? If so, which one? I would prefer to keep the bridging to share files across the network but I can deal with reconnecting to unique ssids.

I also have another router that is setup as a client bridge to connect wirelessly to the secondary router. It's main purpose is to provide Internet where I don't have a jack.

For the secondary router, I setup the Gargoyle connection tab as Wireless Bridge/Repeater. I entered the ip of the main router as the Gateway IP. WAN Ethernet port = Bridge to LAN. What does this do exactly? I am confused if this is saying that the WAN port will just act as another LAN port or it is the connection to the primary router.

I set Connect via WDS. I thought I might want Connect Via Client Bridge but then I can't connect at all. Can you please explain the difference between these two settings.

I also set Repeater to be enabled and I have the same ssid and encryption as the primary router.

Thank you!
Chad

ChadW

Re: Confused by the Wireless Repeater/Bridge options

Post by ChadW »

I think http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers just helped me realize that I might be doing it all wrong. Since my secondary router can connect to the primary one via a wire, I really just want to set it up as a WAP. What was tripping me up is that I wanted both routers to have the same ssid so I can hop. Is that possible? Also, will devices connected to either router see each other?

Chad

ChadW

Re: Confused by the Wireless Repeater/Bridge options

Post by ChadW »

Ok. I got my network working by simply changing the router config back to Gateway and setting it to Static IP (wired). The big speed bump was trying to figure out why it wouldn't connect and then I realized I had to connect the router via one of the LAN ports instead of the internet port.

With both routers setup with the same SSID and security, it seems that wireless devices connect to which ever router has the strongest signal. I am not sure if the computer is hopping between routers though. Is there a way to easily test this? Since I setup the secondary router to point to the primary router as its gateway, the devices connected to either router obviously report they're connected to the same gateway so I can't use that AFAIK to tell which router they're connected to.