Success installing Gargoyle Beta4 on Fonera+

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

westbywest

Success installing Gargoyle Beta4 on Fonera+

Post by westbywest »

I was able to successfully install latest Gargoyle beta images, beta4, on a Fonera+, model # 2201. I used the Linux flash utility "ap51-flash-fonera-1.0-42," available at http://download.berlin.freifunk.net/fonera/. (I connected the host machine to the black LAN port of the Fonera, for those curious.)

The Fonera+ previously had Reboot enabled and Gargoyle beta3 installed, but I was in need of a stable QoS-capable router, and the OpenWRT/Kamikaze v7.09 used in Gargoyle beta3 had a known memory leak somewhere in its QoS implementation. Gargoyle beta4 seems to be stable in this regard (as of the past 20min).

After flashing the Fonera+ with Gargoyle beta4, I was able connect to the router via its wired LAN port and use the web admin interface. The WAN and LAN wired ports work correctly; as does the wifi interface. However, the power LED does not light at all.

However I still had some difficulties getting the router's DNS to work properly, which I describe in this post...
http://gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=50

jinlu8591

Re: Success installing Gargoyle Beta4 on Fonera+

Post by jinlu8591 »

I noticed that the wifi LED was not working either for beta 3. Is there anyway to enable it?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Due to popular demand, the Fon+/Fon 2.0 power LED should now be working in the latest bleeding edge firmware, available in the download section. (See latest news for info about bleeding edge releases)

johni

Post by johni »

I have just installed Gargoyle_bleeding_edge-atheros on a modified Dlink WBR-1310.

It has 4MB of Flash ram/AR2317.

I'm just starting to find out what it can do.

So far the interface seems ok.

I haven't found any feature for a wireless bridge.
Perhaps I need to keep looking or is this something for the future?

By the way good work.

Johni

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

You are correct, wireless bridging is not yet implemented, but I intend to correct this deficiency in the very near future.

Of course, wireless bridging and wireless survey have been at the top of the list of features I want to add for a while now, but it seems that every time I'm about to sit down to work on it someone reports a new bug. Generally, I make fixing existing functionality a higher priority than new functionality but some time -- hopefully some time very soon -- I'll finally get around to this. It's one of my major goals for the next release.

johni

Post by johni »

Thank you for the reply.

I look forward to the release of the wireless bridge when it happens.

I did a bit of browsing in the forum and saw that this was the case.

This modified WBR1310 I have is loaded with DIR-300 RedBoot so it is similar to the DIR-300 in another post I noted.
There has been some activity on the Openwrt web site on this board.

Thanks again for the Gargoyle web interface.

I'll keep using it and if I find any thing I'll post it.

Johni