Reducing writes to flash

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Hoggy

Reducing writes to flash

Post by Hoggy »

ok - so I finally figured out what the numbers meant in the docs about the crontabs line.. So I changed it to what will show in the following, and also changed the webmon and time_backup ones too. ::

Code: Select all

0 0,12 * * * date -u  +"%Y.%m.%d-%H:%M:%S" >/usr/data/time_backup
0,1,11,21,31,41,51 * * * * /usr/bin/set_kernel_timezone >/dev/null 2>&1
0 0 * * 0 /tmp/bw_backup/do_bw_backup.sh
0 0 * * 0 /tmp/do_webmon_backup.sh
I'm hoping this means once a week - and every 12 hours for the time_backup. (I have the Netgear WNDR3800 with 128MB of RAM, so I'd like to make use of that. ;) )

However, I do worry about that 'time_backup' one still. I'm too worried about making that one less often in case anything else depends heavily on it being absolutely correct. (i.e. Would once a week be ok for that one too?)

Also, is there anything else I may be able to change that writes to the flash often? For instance: I'd like to turn on the websearch data-gathering, but I don't want it writing to flash all the time (if at all even). That kind of data is just a curiosity to me.
(I also have the router on a UPS backup, so I'm not too worried about that either.)

I hope this won't break anything.. Please let me know if it will.
And am I guessing correctly that the only directory that is attached to RAM is the /tmp directory?

Thanks.
Netgear WNDR3800 w/Gargoyle 1.5.8 (using)
Netgear WNDR3700v3 w/Factory FW (now as backup)
Noticed wireless is stronger in WNDR3800 too.

ispyisail

Re: Reducing writes to flash

Post by ispyisail »

what are the results?

Hoggy

Post by Hoggy »

Well, nothing seems to be broken yet. At least that I've noticed. I even reduced the time-backup one to once a day.

So that's good. I'm thinking of trying for 2 times a week on the time one and see how that goes - and maybe change the others to once a month, or maybe twice a month first - not sure yet.

Hoggy

Post by Hoggy »

I'm curious though..

If I plan on doing a reboot, should I SSH in and do those 'do_x_backup' commands, or is that automatically done when choosing reboot via the web portal?

If not done via the portal, do I need to go into the respective directories to execute those commands, or can I do them immediately after logging in?

Thanks.