Fon Flash - Picostation2HP

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

ispyisail

Fon Flash - Picostation2HP

Post by ispyisail »

Hi Eric

When flashing a PicoSation2HP with fon flash it only works some times.

This is a default Pico Redboot config

Code: Select all

RedBoot> fconfig -l
Run script at boot: true
Boot script:
.. fis load -l vmlinux.bin.l7
.. exec

Boot script timeout (1000ms resolution): 1
Use BOOTP for network configuration: false
Gateway IP address: 0.0.0.0
Local IP address: 192.168.1.20
Local IP address mask: 255.255.255.0
Default server IP address: 0.0.0.0
Console baud rate: 9600
GDB connection port: 9000
Force console for special debug messages: false
Network debug at boot time: false
RedBoot> 
It appears that the "Boot script timeout" is to short and fon flash is not quick enough to break the boot cycle then engage the flashing procedure.

It appears that the manual flashing method with Linux is almost always successful.

Is the problem a windows problem or do you think that fon flash could be tweaked to pick up a 1 second "boot script timeout" ?

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Fon Flash - Picostation2HP

Post by Eric »

I think it would be hard to make FonFlash faster. It waits for the ARP packet to determine the IP, and as soon as it has it, it tries to access RedBoot. It may be the timing of the ARP is a bit off on the PicoStation, though I don't have one so I can't be sure. It might be possible to get around the problem if I required the user to provide the IP it expected Redboot to come up on, but that requires the user to know something which is often not known (I know different versions of Foneras come up with different default IPs). Therefore, I'm not sure how this could best be addressed, especially since I don't have one of these devices.