USB attached printer

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

lovelyjubbly

USB attached printer

Post by lovelyjubbly »

My setup is a little unusual:

Modem downstairs with wireless.

Gargoyle 1.5.1 on Netgear WNDR 3700v2 upstairs with wireless.

The Gargoyle has DHCP turned off, so it's just a wireless transmitter.

I've attached a Canon printer to Gargoyle and it's shown as attached.

It also has a cryptic message about using the HP Direct software and the Gargoyle's address which is 10.1.1.100

That's where I'm stuck.

I'm assuming turning the DHCP off is causing my stuckness?

sabrewulf

Re: USB attached printer

Post by sabrewulf »

hi;

it quite easy

You don't say if you are using Windows. But I'm going to assume you are :)

install the printer driver on the PC/PC's you want it on.

next...

in the printer Properties. (win7 - click "Customise Printer"
(you don't need the Printer attached to the for this)
Then Click Ports
in there Click Add Port.
Select Standard TCP/IP Port, then New Port
Wizard starts, Click Next
in the next page type in the IP Address of your Router with the Printer attached. (e.g. 192.168.1.1). The second line fills it self in.

Then Click Next and wait
use the Drop Down arrow to select "HP JetDirect"
then Next and Finished

The Wizards should have added the Port to the Printer

Then all that you need to do is Print off a test page and jobs done

Hope this helps

lovelyjubbly

Post by lovelyjubbly »

Hi sabrewulf,

Thanks for the help, I'd forgotten all about TCP/IP ports, I think it was the HP Direct that threw me :)

I'm not there yet though :(

On my XP machine that's ethernet to the Netgear, I'm able to print but I can't see ink status.

I get messages that the printer is off line, but it still prints, I just get error messages if I try to get ink levels.

On my Wireless Win 7 laptop, I can't get a full page to print out, it always ends about 90% of the way into printing, and stays in the printer like that.

I've never seen that before, would it have something to do with Raw vs LPR protocol?

Best wishes and Thanks

sabrewulf

Post by sabrewulf »

lovelyjubbly wrote:Hi sabrewulf,

Thanks for the help, I'd forgotten all about TCP/IP ports, I think it was the HP Direct that threw me :)

I'm not there yet though :(

On my XP machine that's ethernet to the Netgear, I'm able to print but I can't see ink status.

I get messages that the printer is off line, but it still prints, I just get error messages if I try to get ink levels.

On my Wireless Win 7 laptop, I can't get a full page to print out, it always ends about 90% of the way into printing, and stays in the printer like that.

I've never seen that before, would it have something to do with Raw vs LPR protocol?

Best wishes and Thanks
Glad to have been on some help.

The ink levels I don't think the LPR port will be able to process that information.

as to the win7 issue. Have you tried removing and reinstalling the driver?

I have a quite old Samsung ML1210 laser printer. Which I was amazed that Samsung still supported on win7 64bit :lol:

lovelyjubbly

Post by lovelyjubbly »

It was a canon pixma mp 480 from memory.

It had win 7 drivers which I installed, its at a client's home at present, but if I get a chance I'll reinstall.

For the moment I've put it back into the original port.

mkraus

Post by mkraus »

Sorry for poking really old thread, but reinstalling drivers did the thing for me. Thank you!

promothecode99

Post by promothecode99 »

Have you ever used USB attached printer I haven't tried it before but when I was just scrolling down on Facebook I see and ad of printerland where they are providing USB attached printer in a very cheap price.

RomanHK

Post by RomanHK »

promothecode99 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:24 am
Have you ever used USB attached printer I haven't tried it before but when I was just scrolling down on Facebook I see and ad of printerland where they are providing USB attached printer in a very cheap price.
Beware of drivers that support your operating system. Some vendors sell really extra cheap printers, but support for new operating systems has ended (Typical: Windows XP@Windows 10 or 32bit@64bit). Find driver support for your operating system.

Some printers have USB transfer problems and need to send firmware to the printer (Typical: HP LaserJet 1005-1008, ... http://oleg.wl500g.info/hplj/).

On some routers there is no stabilized voltage of 5V on USB and it can disconnect spontaneously (some helped by external power supply or USB hub).

Connect the printer with the router to a maximum 2m long USB cable. There may be a problem with a longer cable.

EDIT: In addition, monitoring the ink or toner status of a router connected in this way will never work. This is only native print support (although the print daemon is capable of bidirectional communication to some extent).

I have good experience with HP TCP Port Monitor software - it can at least show paper status when it runs out.

You'll just have to try ...
Turris Omnia with OpenWrt 21.02 - Tested
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.13.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

http://gargoyle.romanhk.cz custom builds by gargoyle users