remember config after upgrade

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

hnl_dk

remember config after upgrade

Post by hnl_dk »

Is there any reason why it is not possible for Gargoyle to remember its configuration after an upgrade?
It is possible on almost all firmware (including openwrt). This would make the upgrade process so much more pleasant.

working hack/solution here: Subject: remember config after upgrade
Last edited by hnl_dk on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Router: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4
AP: TL-WR1043ND - Gargoyle 1.5.4

b0rg

Re: remember config after upgrade

Post by b0rg »

There is a backup/restore function that does just that. Before update you save a backup (which is just your settings), then after update is complete you restore from it. All settings remain as they were.

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

b0rg wrote:There is a backup/restore function that does just that. Before update you save a backup (which is just your settings), then after update is complete you restore from it. All settings remain as they were.
I know, but it is not the same... you still have a lot of trouble when:
1. You run on another subnet...
2. You primarily work wireless on that router/AP...

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

I have spent a good part of the last month trying add this feature to Gargoyle.

I have found this to be difficult. I know OpenWRT claims such functionality and have tried to use OpenWRT utilities it with Gargoyle. However, I have found these utilities unreliable at least on the routers I have worked with.

So at this point until someone smarter than me can explain the inner workings of OpenWRT's sysupgrade script I am not hopeful we will see this in Gargoyle.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

pbix wrote:I have spent a good part of the last month trying add this feature to Gargoyle.

I have found this to be difficult. I know OpenWRT claims such functionality and have tried to use OpenWRT utilities it with Gargoyle. However, I have found these utilities unreliable at least on the routers I have worked with.

So at this point until someone smarter than me can explain the inner workings of OpenWRT's sysupgrade script I am not hopeful we will see this in Gargoyle.
Hello
Did not think of that.
/www/utility/do_upgrade.sh
change line 47

Code: Select all

/sbin/sysupgrade -n /tmp/up/upgrade  2>&1 | awk ' $0 ~ /eboot/ { print "<script type=\"text/javascript\">top.upgraded();</script></body></html>" ; } '
into

Code: Select all

/sbin/sysupgrade /tmp/up/upgrade  2>&1 | awk ' $0 ~ /eboot/ { print "<script type=\"text/javascript\">top.upgraded();</script></body></html>" ; } '
I have now tested it on both my two routers (gateway and AP) - both tl-wr1043nd.
So far it looks like it has remembered all settings, even my syslog settings :mrgreen:

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

it would be nice if it could be selected as an option, it you fear that it will not work on all routers.

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

hnl_dk wrote:...
So far it looks like it has remembered all settings, even my syslog settings :mrgreen:
I have double-checked everything and the only setting that seems to be missing from the old settings, is the hostname of the router.
But a funny thing, the domainname has been remembered.

behappy

Post by behappy »

Hi hnl_dk,

What do you mean all settings? Are they all files under etc folder or only etc/config?

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

behappy wrote:Hi hnl_dk,

What do you mean all settings? Are they all files under etc folder or only etc/config?
no, all the settings that I have made within the gargoyle webinterface.
If you also want to make it try to safe every chance in /etc, you should add -c to the line... but I see no reason to do that, at least if you use the webinterface.

hnl_dk

Post by hnl_dk »

hnl_dk wrote:it would be nice if it could be selected as an option, it you fear that it will not work on all routers.
Perhaps it could added that if you use the options, that it is recommended to use the restore afterwards... just in case it is not everything that is "remembered"... at least this will at least remember the ip address, subnet and wifi settings, so you are still able to access the router after you have made the upgrade.

So far it is still only the hostname that has not been remembered here... but I am for example not using qos and also some other features.