How Do I extract firmware

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

randy

How Do I extract firmware

Post by randy »

I have a router with modded gargoyle firmware and I want to figure out how to extract that firmware off the router and put it onto another similar router.

DoesItMatter

Re: How Do I extract firmware

Post by DoesItMatter »

What do you mean "modded" gargoyle firmware?

Do you mean a custom config?

You could use WinSCP and grab all the files off the router,
going directory by directory.

But you can only copy the config to an IDENTICAL router.

Has to be same make, model, and hardware version.

I.E. if you have a WRT54G-TM, you could copy the config to
another WRT54G-TM and it will work.

But you could not copy a WRT54G-TM -> WRT54GL
It may work, but if there is anything weird happening, you
cannot use the same configuration/files.

Also, not at all possible copying from broadcom chipset
to atheros chipset, etc - you'll have a very screwy router at best,
or a possible brick situation which would need serial
and/or jtag recovery methods.

More info about what you are trying to do would be needed.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

randy

Post by randy »

Thanks for your reply,
I will be sure to make sure I load these firmwares into the exact same router.
It appears that I'm on the right track I have already been trying to gain access to my router with winSCP.

The problem is I can't gain access to the router with this program. I'm not sure if I should use ssh protocol or ftp. I'm able to get connected but I fail the authentication process. I'm trying to use the same user name and password that I use to log into the router. but I Keep getting access denied.
Ive tried changing the password on the router and even disabled the authentication but I still can't seem to get in.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

1an

Post by 1an »

Randy, it seems that you still have a few misconceptions.

There are several methods to access the router (that has gargoyle installed). The method chosen depends on what you are trying to do.
1) web interface: to view and change gargoyle options offered by the standard gargoyle interface. Enter router's ip address (usually 192.168.1.1) into browser address bar. 1st page will ask for password (there is no username requested)
2) SSH (secure) or telnet (no encryption) = command line interface. Useful if misconfiguration prevents use of web interface, to stop/start services from command line, or to reboot manually. Windows has no built in SSH client, use Putty. info needed: router ip address, username = root, password is same as web interface
3) SCP (eg WinSCP): transfer of files onto/off router. I set transfer protocol to SCP (WinSCP default is SFTP) username = root, password is same as web interface
4) TFTP: occasionally needed to transfer new firmware to router, only works in first few seconds after reboot/power on. (see installation guide for details)

However, the simplest method to do what you originally requested is to use web interface to save current gargoyle config to pc (see backup option on System tab). Load gargoyle onto 2nd router (you haven't mentioned router model, or gargoyle version on 1st router, so it's hard to give detailed info, but you need to load same gargoyle version, see below). Bearing in mind DoesItMatter's warnings about trying to use settings from different model or hardware version of router, use web interface on 2nd router to restore settings backed up from 1st router to second router (restore is also found on system tab).

Note: in addition there are some incompatibilities in config settings between gargoyle versions (notably pre-1.3.9 and post-1.3.10 ). You also haven't clarified what you meant by "modded gargoyle" in your original post. If just "altered from default settings" using web interface, above method should work fine. If the setup has been heavily modified from the command line, this method may leave out some of the mods, depending where relevant changes reside.
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH = Gargoyle 1.5.3
Linksys WRT54GL v1.2 = Gargoyle 1.3.13
SMC Barricade SMC2804WBRP-G = SMC firmware v2.08