Shadowsocks Plugin available ?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Mloki

Shadowsocks Plugin available ?

Post by Mloki »

Hi,

i would like to run Shadowsocks now to protect my traffic.
Is there an easy way to get Shadowsocks to run on Gargoyle
1.9.x ? Is it available as an autostarting plugin ?
Netgear WNDR3800 running Gargoyle 1.6.2
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH (B0 B0) running Gargoyle 1.9.0

Lantis

Re: Shadowsocks Plugin available ?

Post by Lantis »

No it is not available.
You could compile it and configure it manually.

Another user had started down the path of creating a plugin, although I do not think they have progressed far.
https://github.com/ericpaulbishop/gargoyle/issues/640

You may want to check in with them.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Mloki

Post by Mloki »

Thx Lantis,
it is sad to hear that you are not up to date here, there are so many people worldwide who really need this to have free internet access, as it is too easy to block any VPN traffic. Well I already knew that the Gargoyle project management is not really interested in security questions (very sad).

I read that it is pretty easy to get it to run with OpenWRT, but first i will have to buy a new router to try that.
If it works I will work with OpenWRT from now on, seems like Gargoyle has already it's best days passed by.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

If it works with Openwrt, it will (in general) also work with Gargoyle.

I'm not sure where you have gotten the idea that Gargoyle isn't interested in security.
Gargoyle is still under reasonably active development, and with a lot of large changes recently I'd say it is far from passed its best.

Please also remember that open source software is built by the community. If you really want a feature, pick up some code and start writing :) the more people sharing great ideas, the better it will become.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Mloki

Post by Mloki »

Well, I got the clue, that you are not interested, since I made this viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8576&p=37393#p37393 post, and got no reply yet.

Yes it is easy to complain, but not support own code, but it is also easy to expect from everyone to code. Some people like me are just not good at it, this would not help at all. In school when I was young, I learned to code, but since then a lot has changed, and I am not able to catch up with it. I am a user, not a programmer. I have already made a few attempts to get into coding again, but it did not work out. I am only good at generating Ideas, I am a creative person, not a hacker person. Also I am already watching the Linux progress in the community, and after about 20 years of watching Linux develop, I am convinced, that it has no future. The Linux communities tend to split up again and again, to repeat the same process over and over again, while not making any progress at all, to give normal users a decent system, they can manage without having to dive into the consoles. Linux should be a tool, but instead it expects the user to become a tool for it.

I am not saying that your work is useless, no, I am really glad that there is a project called Gargoyle, but it is not meeting the needs of a normal user, it needs to get simplified, like that Idea of an export/import tool I suggested here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8575&p=37575#p37575.

If you make things easier and more flexible, you will improve the community, because there will be a bigger userbase. I wonder what the problem is, maybe you have no big ideas, like making Gargoyle finally truly modular. i know it is all a lot of work. But in the end, only the result does count, complaining about others not helping will not help anyone.
While complaining about the Project can either lead to improvements or frustration on the userside.

Shadowsocks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowsocks is already 5 years old, and not yet supported, 5 Years !!!! It is the most important development that happened since then for safe internettraffic, and it is not yet implemented. This shows how active the Gargoyle community really is. If security would be a priority in Gargoyle, it would have already been implemented 5 years ago.

Mloki

Post by Mloki »

Meanwhile some chinese guy seems to have written a plugin for gargoyle, but I don't understand chinese, and I don't trust this link and download, maybe you are interested in knowing about it https://didee.cn/2015/10/26/gargoyle-shadowsocks/

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

You make some good points. And I'm sorry that Gargoyle does not currently suit your vision of what it should be.

Note that I'm not complaining about lack of help, only stating that it would be useful.

Mloki

Post by Mloki »

Well I wasn't talking about you, it was a general thought.
What do you think about this chinese link ? Did you take a look at it ?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

I didn't test it, but it is most of the way towards being implemented.
It doesn't look to be malicious.

The UI code is based on an old version so that would need rebasing.

It also seems to have been originally built off my adblock plugin, as i found remnants of my code in it lol.

I don't have time to look at making it work at the moment. But if someone else wanted to, i'd say it's not a bad starting point.