Archer C7 V2 Confusion

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

mrroute

Archer C7 V2 Confusion

Post by mrroute »

I'm a little confused reading the different posts here about installing Gargoyle on this router. Mine has a serial number starting with 216 so it has the newer chip for the V2s. It also has the latest stock firmware...3.15.1 Build 160719 Rel.57530n.

Am I correct thinking I can first flash factory-to-ddwrt-US.bin from the Archer web interface and then log into the ddwrt web interface and flash gargoyle_1.9.2-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin? Or will this method not work and I need to ftp some other file?

Thanks.

porkypete

Re: Archer C7 V2 Confusion

Post by porkypete »

I have the same one - I believe I used exactly the method/sequence and files you describe. I had a lot of trouble with it continually failing...

I eventually found this on OpenWRT and flashed it successfully:-
lede-ar71xx-generic-archer-c7-v2-squashfs-factory-eu.bin

I then updated from the latest files under show/tell/contribute here:-
1.9.x-archer-c7-v2-sysupgrade.bin

good luck!

mrroute

Post by mrroute »

Thanks. Why did you use the lede image instead of the openwrt image? Did this image flash from the Archer web interface or did you need to ftp it?

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

That LEDE image has the required headers to allow flashing on an EU device. It is the equivalent of flashing ddwrt first.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

porkypete

Post by porkypete »

Thanks Lantis! I forgot to mention it is an EU unit...

Yes, it flashes from the original gui. The other advantage is this file is compiled with gui, so the gargoyle upgrade in the second step is also from a gui. Straight forward!

mrroute

Post by mrroute »

Thanks. Does version 1.9.2 have the 5 Ghz options in the GUI?

I found the same lede file with a -US on the end and I flashed that from the Archer GUI. It said successful but I was unable to get to the web interface at 192.168.1.1.

Then I tried the TFTP method. I followed codertimt's steps here...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8933&hilit=archer+c7+v2

I had to do this a couple times. I am now able to get an https web interface (OpenWRT - LuCi) but I cannot log in. I get "invalid username and/or password" using "root" with no password or "password". I am not getting a banner indicating that a password needs to be set.

mrroute

Post by mrroute »

Since I can't login into the web interface of OpenWrt to update to Gargoyle, can I just rename the 1.9.2 sysupgrade.bin to ArcherC7v2_tp-recovery.bin and tftp that one to it?