Complicated Bandwidth Monitoring Setup

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Gargoyle_Newbie77

Complicated Bandwidth Monitoring Setup

Post by Gargoyle_Newbie77 »

Hi,
I would just like to state that I am new to this software and am still trying to figure out how it works etc.

I will be providing internet to users for free, so no billing system is required.

This is my scenario:
There will 2 routers: Router1 and Router2 ( connected to each other via a network cable. This is done in order to extend the wireless network ).
There will be 2 groups of users: GroupA and GroupB.
GroupA will have up to 32 members and GroupB will have up to 18 members.
GroupA will connect to Router1 and GroupB will connect to Router2. Sometimes GroupA members will be out of the wireless range of Router1 and so will have to connect to Router2.
I would like to impose a daily data limit of 3gig that both groups can share.
Each group will have up to 1.5 gig a day daily limit.
If one of the groups has only a few members connected that day, then I would like the other group to have more than 1.5gig for that day. If one of the groups has no memebers connected that day, then I would like the other group to have all 3gig.
The MAC addresses will be unknown and new members will join every few days and existing members will permanently leave every few days.

I have spent a lot of time trying to think how to set this up, but I feel that I might be missing something or have left something out.
That is why I need some advice please?

I thank you in advance for any help that you can give me.

Lantis

Re: Complicated Bandwidth Monitoring Setup

Post by Lantis »

I'll break my response down into sections.

2 groups with 1.5gb limit, with a global limit of 3gb
- easy to do.
adjusting the limits based on how many people are in each group
- not a Gargoyle feature. You may be able to script your own solution
Unknown MAC addresses
- potential (big) problem. The idea of Gargoyle is you peg users to 1 IP address using their MAC address. You then apply limits based on known IP (and hence known MAC).
- if you can guarantee that group A will always be in X range and Group B will be in Y range, you may be able to avoid this issue. This is possibly achieved using clever DHCP servers on each router, but this isn't an ideal solution and will likely clash. but you'll run into the issue that users will change wifi networks and end up in a different IP range and hence different group.

I don't think Gargoyle is the solution for you here. At least not out of the box.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

Gargoyle_Newbie77

Re: Complicated Bandwidth Monitoring Setup

Post by Gargoyle_Newbie77 »

THank you for your reply, but maybe I did not explain myself correctly and I see that you will need additional info.
The users on router1 will not know the password for router 2 and vise versa.
Router1 will have the IP range 192.168.2.x and users on Router2 will have the IP range 192.168.3.x
My devices, that do not need monitoring and my other routers will all be on the IP range 192.168.1.x
only the IP Ranges 192.168.2.x and 192.168.3.x need to be monitored.
Can gargoyle not monitor traffic based on IP addresses? must it be mac addresess?