MinRTT Not Always Triggering?

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

Diz

MinRTT Not Always Triggering?

Post by Diz »

I thought MinRTT was supposed to always be on when the class exceeded 4kbps, but as you can see here: http://imgur.com/a/0ujqb it is still in "IDLE" mode. My problem is when its in idle and I'm playing COD whenever I start to watch a YT Video or stream music it will go from IDLE to MinRTT. The problem with that is that the transition from IDLE To MinRTT causes a 800ms ping spike but after that it's keeping the ping low. Is there anyway I can make it to where when the "Gaming" class is active it will put ACC in MinRTT mode?
Linksys WRT1200ac on 1.9.X

Lantis

Re: MinRTT Not Always Triggering?

Post by Lantis »

No, it is not supposed to be in MinRTT mode when your link is not saturated. It kicks in when it is needed.

While the interface may momentarily say "800ms", this isn't in my experience actually true.
Have you seen in a game that you momentarily hit 800ms?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Transitioning from Idle to Active or MinRTT will involve some spiking of pings while ACC throttles the connection to regain control. Within around 2 seconds the performance should recover.

There is no practical way to keep ACC out of IDLE mode on an unloaded link.

When ACC shows 800ms in its status screen it means that the ping response did not arrive back from the target. It was dropped by your ISP due to a saturated link. This is not exactly the same as saying you have 800ms pings and it is not correct to say ACC caused it. It was caused by your link being saturated.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

Diz

Post by Diz »

pbix wrote:Transitioning from Idle to Active or MinRTT will involve some spiking of pings while ACC throttles the connection to regain control. Within around 2 seconds the performance should recover.

There is no practical way to keep ACC out of IDLE mode on an unloaded link.

When ACC shows 800ms in its status screen it means that the ping response did not arrive back from the target. It was dropped by your ISP due to a saturated link. This is not exactly the same as saying you have 800ms pings and it is not correct to say ACC caused it. It was caused by your link being saturated.
ahhh, i see now. Is there anyway that i could make it where MinRTT is always turned when the class is over 4kbps, even if my LINK is unsaturated?

Thanks for being responsive btw :D :D

Diz

Post by Diz »

Lantis wrote:No, it is not supposed to be in MinRTT mode when your link is not saturated. It kicks in when it is needed.

While the interface may momentarily say "800ms", this isn't in my experience actually true.
Have you seen in a game that you momentarily hit 800ms?
I can't see the pings in game, but when it will stutter momentarily for 1 or 2 seconds.