DIR 601 rev a1

General discussion about Gargoyle, OpenWrt or anything else even remotely related to the project

Moderator: Moderators

WhiteKnight

DIR 601 rev a1

Post by WhiteKnight »

This post comes from a Dlink Dir 601 hardware rev a1 running the gargoyle image for a dir 600 (the hardware is the same) the installation process I used was to download the D-link firmware for the Dir 600 from dlink's website and http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download ... actory.bin

then i powered the router up and depressed the reset button for 30 secondswaited 30 seconds before plugging my ethernet cable into wan port 1. I then changed my ip address to 192.168.0.2 and pointed Internet explorer at http://192.168.0.1 and clicked the button labelled browse. from there all one needs to do is select and upload the dir 600 firmware. DO NOT turn the router off untill the installation is complete, actually wait untill a few minutes after it's complete, make some coffee since you'll be configuring Gargoyle in 20 minutes or so. When the coffee-maker is bubbling go back and reboot your router. If http://dlinkrouter or http://192.168.0.1 brings up an admin interface (that says DIR 600 not DIR 601 in the upper left corner) congratulations you're almost there. just navigate to the tools menu and then select FIRMWARE from the left hand side menu select the option to upgrade then browse to the gargoyle image. Upload the image click ok a couple times and then wait (there's even a countdown clock for your convenience though i gave it a couple of minutes on top of it). reboot. Http://192.168.1.1 Welcome to Gargoyle openwrt firmware. (password is password if memory serves)

Thanks for this excellent firmware, and for making your SVN trunk available so I can re-roll it after i've put the tweaks i want in (get the lan leds working and discard all the useless packages included in the stock .bin, change the hwid so it can be installed without the downgrade to dir 600 add aap and madwifi drivers, etc.)

Source and package lists will be posted when i'm done. Happy to roll a .bin for this community and make it available too.

Merry Christmas

WhiteKnight

PashRoot

Re: DIR 601 rev a1

Post by PashRoot »

Works great; took several tries for the D-link to accept the firmware but otherwise it worked fine. You have to use IE..

But the firmware upgrade dialogue in the gargoyle GUI is not working for me. It'll act like it's taking the firmware, but it won't do anything past that.

:?:

natkuhn

Post by natkuhn »

Thank you SO much for this excellent post! Please let me know if you've rolled up a new version, it would be nice to have all the lights working, etc.

Gargoyle is FANTASTIC. I bought two DIR-601s because they were inexpensive routers that would run dd-wrt. HOWEVER, as many people have noted, dd-wrt does NOT function as a client bridge on the DIR-601. Gargoyle does, and it's much easier to configure than dd-wrt. Also, it turns out that my dd-wrt client bridge on the Asus RT-N12 was not sending multicast out over the wireless correctly, so that Macs were not able to find my HP multifunction. Gargoyle solved that problem, so my home network is now functioning as it should. Thank you all!

I would add a couple of things from my experience:

(1) When the router is bricked, you sometimes cannot enter recovery mode by holding the reset button with the power on. Power down, press the reset button, and hold it as you power up. In 15-30 seconds you will get the flashing amber light, indicating you are in recovery mode.

(2) I had major problems uploading any firmware in recovery mode. Eventually, http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir- ... first.time came to my rescue. It turns out that IE 6 is the only reliable standard browser for uploading in recovery mode. For me, Chrome, Firefox, and IE 9 all failed. I used "Ultra Simple Web Browser 2.0" as recommended in the openwrt post and it worked like a charm. In fact, the flashing went very quickly and it booted straight into the DIR-600 firmware, no power cycling or long wait needed.

(3) Interestingly, when I loaded the DIR-600 firmware, it continued to say "DIR-601" at the top of the page, which is different from what you noted. However, it worked just fine.

(4) I was able to upload Gargoyle 1.4.4 (DIR-600 squashfs-factory version) and it has been working flawlessly.

Thanks again! This has been a life-saver.

rdailey

Post by rdailey »

I installed the latest version on my 601, and it does not seem to work in a wireless client bridge mode. It seems to be operating in a client mode, which is not acceptable. The gargoyle 601 when set to bridge mode is handing out IP addresses of its own, which tells me that it is NATing. A client bridge will associate with an existing AP on site and will pass all connected traffic over the wireless to that AP. If I have missed something in the settings, please advise how to fix it so it is in client BRIDGE mode and not a regular client mode.

mix

Post by mix »

What happens when you uncheck "LAN DCHP Server Enabled" under Connection->DHCP?
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

rdailey

Post by rdailey »

There isn't a DHCP option.

Connection
  • Basic
    Dynamic DNS
    Routing
    Wake on LAN
On the Basic page is where I select Wireless Bridge/Repeater, but this appears to be settings for a repeater or a client rather than a client bridge -- a client bridge would not require me to input a gateway IP address because a client bridge would only pass traffic to the host AP. There is no option on the Basic page to enable or disable DHCP services, either.

I rolled back to version 1.4.5 to see if it behaved differently, and it seems to be the same. When I change to Wireless Bridge/Repeater mode, the DHCP option disappears from the menu.

I just need the router to behave like a wireless adapter to all computers connected to it by wire, associating with the host AP on premise.
Attachments
gargoyle_connection.jpg
gargoyle_connection.jpg (94.72 KiB) Viewed 16733 times

DoesItMatter

Post by DoesItMatter »

Right, currently no wireless bridge mode available via GUI

You CAN configure that mode via CLI through putty.

Reference the OpenWRT wiki for how-to's
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

snardfarkle

Post by snardfarkle »

i just successfully set up my d-link 601 rev a1 router as a wireless bridge from the gui. i can now use the onkyo remote app on my iphone to control my onkyo receiver which just has an ethernet connection. this was my goal. Gargoyle rocks!!!

followed the instructions on this site and ddwrt for loading 3rd party firmware. loaded gargoyle using emergency page. took me multiple tries to get it loaded. did not work trying to load from the dlink menu for updating firmware. used ultra simple web browser

final configuration
d-link 615 primary router 192.168.0.1
d-link hardware E1 firmware 5.00NA
802.11 mode=mixed
enable auto channel scan
channel width 20Mhz
security mode = WPA personal
cipher type = TKIP and AES

d-link 601 rev a configuration

gargoyle version 1.4.5

device configuration = wireless bridge/repeater
bridge address 192.168.0.6
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
AP gateway = 192.168.0.1

connect via client bridge
repeater disabled
operation mode N+G+B
SSID = [same as my primary router]
wireless channel = 6
encryption = WPA2 PSK

did not change any other settings

I am a newbie and took me about an hour to accomplish. cut my teeth last night for several hours trying dd-wrt. unfortunately it was not until i loaded dd-wrt i found out it does not support bridge for this router so then spent lots of time trying to reload the original dlink software then load gargoyle. i tried to follow the directions exactly and found that sometimes things worked and sometimes they did not.

adika

Post by adika »

hi,anybody know if i set something wrong and the web gui is not accesible how do i reset the router dir 601 a1 1.5.2 ,is it like 30/30/30?
i was not able to reset to default/factory config and had to reflash with dlink and gargoyle again
tx

rdailey

Post by rdailey »

I don't know, that doesn't really make much sense to me. The configuration settings just don't make sense for a device acting as a wireless bridge.

I have a single AP which provides a wireless LAN to multiple devices on multiple subnets with multiple gateways. A wireless bridge doesn't care about such a convoluted topology due to the behavior of a wireless bridge. A wireless bridge does not have configuration for a specified gateway nor an IP address of any AP. Requiring a gateway address sounds like something a wireless client or repeater would require.

Case in point, DD-WRT on a Linksys WRT54GL, you go to the Wireless tab and set the Wireless Mode to Client Bridge and set the SSID of the AP you wish to communicate with. With the Network Configuration set to Bridged, that's it, you're done and now your WRT54GL is a wireless bridge, sharing the AP's signal and providing a transparent wireless link for a wired connection to the devices connected to the switch ports of the router. It doesn't know any gateway address, nor should it need to. As far as the client nodes are concerned, they are wired devices; they don't have any idea there is a wireless link between an AP and a wireless client bridge "on their Ethernet cable."

Now if you take that and change the Network Configuration to an Unbridged setting, that's when it asks for IP addresses and if it should provide NAT or not. But that's for unbridged, and I'm trying to get bridged -- two different things.