I am fairly new to Gargoyole (or OpenWRT) and therefore still learning. I installed Gargoyle version 1.5.10 on my TP-Link WR1043ND router seven days ago and yesterday I upgraded to 1.5.11, so far so good.
However, 24 hours after the upgrade I encountered an issue of which I thought it was worth mentioning.
First of all, the setup of my home network looks like this:
Code: Select all
*internet* ---- ISP Modem/Router ---- 1043ND Gargoyle Router ---- PC
Code: Select all
My ISP provided the Modem/Router which is needed for television, phone and internet. Unfortunately my ISP made a lot of options impossible to configure, but I need to deal with this, otherwise I won't be able to watch television or call somebody.
My Gargoyole Router is placed in a central position of my house and is connected to the modem/router via an ethernet cable in the lan port. It now serves as acces point.
My modem/router serves as the DHCP server since my ISP made it impossible to turn off the DHCP function in the modem/router. The IP adress of my modem/router is 192.168.2.254 and the IP adress of my Gargoyle Router is 192.168.2.1.
Now, the problem I encountered looks like this:
The first 10 hours after the upgrade to 1.5.11 were totally fine. I was able to acces the Gargoyle GUI and configure everything I needed. But yet, 24 hours after the upgrade, I cannot ping the router anymore.
Everything works fine though. Every device connected to my home network can acces the internet. Also, I can ping the modem/router at 192.168.2.254 and login to the modem/router's GUI. And, I have acces to other devices in my home network which are connected to the Gargoyle Router.
So, actually, everything works as it should. Except that no device behind the Gargoyle Router can enter the Gargoyle GUI, nor ping the router at 192.168.2.1. Neither can I acces the router via SSH because it time-outs.
Another strange aspect of this problem is that I am able to acces the Gargoyle GUI via my OpenVPN Server. I am still struggling with setting op my OpenVPN server though, because I can connect to the server, but not to the internet or the LAN network (I am still learning how to make this work). But so far I have been able to ping the Gargoyle Router via OpenVPN and this is still possible, eventhough devices in my LAN Network cannot ping the router anymore.
I accessed the router via OpenVPN and rebooted it, but this did't work. My PC behind the Gargoyle Router was only able to ping the router for about 2 minutes after the reboot, then it timed out again.
I also tried to power-cycle the router, but with no succes.
I don't think the upgrade went wrong, because everything worked fine yesterday. I will try a hard reset later and start from scratch, see if that works.
P.S. English is not my mother tongue, so my apologies if I couldn't make myself understandable.