Quota System Update

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

Quota System Update

Post by Eric »

The latest bleeding edge firmware contains a major update to the quota system. New features include the ability to specify times when quotas do not apply for "off-peak" hours, and the option to apply quotas to each individual IP on the network without explicity setting a quota for each one.

However, the new system saves quota data in a different format from older versions, so be aware that old data is not compatible with the new format. This is one reason I've been working hard to implement this feature before the upcoming 1.0 final release -- I'd like to finalize the file formats used by this time. I believe everything is working properly with the new quota system (I've run extensive tests), but I would be very grateful if some of you could help test the new firmware as well.

Most of my time between now and the release will likely be spent fixing bugs -- in particular there's a really bad one recently discovered in the bandwidth monitor on which I am now focusing most of my attention.

alenhoff

Re: Quota System Update

Post by alenhoff »

that is great news for myself. since i have hughesnet and a quota free time. i'll update it tonight and should have alot of it tested within a couple of days. thanks for the new features and the hard work.

alternative

Post by alternative »

nice firmware.maybe it possible to make some functionality for reset button,like restore from /backup.tgz when it pressed?thanks.

Post by sticky »

Having a bit of trouble setting the new quota system. It wants me to enter an ip when using the all hosts without explicit ip.
S

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

I'm having trouble replicating this. Does it just give you an error message (and if so what is the exact text), or does it just display the control for entering the IP or both? Also, are you experiencing the problem in the main page when adding a new quota, the edit popup, or both?

Post by sticky »

Eric wrote:I'm having trouble replicating this. Does it just give you an error message (and if so what is the exact text), or does it just display the control for entering the IP or both? Also, are you experiencing the problem in the main page when adding a new quota, the edit popup, or both?
In the main page when I choose ''all individual hosts without explicit quotas' If I don't enter an ip in the ip box which appears I get this error 'error in proofread: label with id applies_to_label is not defined' If I then enter an ip it allows it to create the quota but it initially appears as a quota for that ip. After saving it changes to a quota for all with no time setting for offpeak.

I will try reflashing with the new version to see what happens.
S

Post by sticky »

For no particular reason I can see it suddenly decided to work!
S

westgj

Post by westgj »

Eric wrote:The latest bleeding edge firmware contains a major update to the quota system. New features include the ability to specify times when quotas do not apply for "off-peak" hours, and the option to apply quotas to each individual IP on the network without explicity setting a quota for each one.
Here in Australia there are many ISPs that offer off-peak but the off-peak is not unlimited it is just a greater download quota than the peak period.

What I would find extremely useful would be the option to specify the amount download and upload (or combined) volume for the off-peak period rather than only having the option to set the off-peak as unlimited.

Would it be hard to implement this feature request?

Eric
Site Admin

Post by Eric »

Yeah, this isn't trivial. It doubles the amount of information that I need to report and keep track of. It would also mean doing a major re-design of the configuration controls, to make it clear what applies when. See here where this feature is first discussed.

alenhoff

Post by alenhoff »

well since i said i would test the quota system all i could i have done so, i have had no errors once so ever with any setup i could imagine and try. beta or not i would still have to say that gargoyle is the best i could have loaded onto it. i have it running on 2 of my routers, 1 for testing and my main, as well as at my parents house for both the main and the repeater.