Version 1.3.13

The latest news about Gargoyle

Moderator: Moderators

Eric
Site Admin

Re: Version 1.3.13

Post by Eric »

HelderMF: Thanks for the update -- that really helps. I found an issue with port forwarding when UpNP or DMZ were being used (already fixed in the repository), but I was wondering if anything else was going on since you didn't say you were using either of those features.

I'll see if I can figure out what's going on with the no-ip ddns.

dwatashi

Post by dwatashi »

Anybody confirm that works on WR941ND v3.5?

Older builds flashes, but sometimes it bricks router.

Thanks.

ng3700v2

Post by ng3700v2 »

I've wasted the past few days trying to figure out how to allow my WNDR3700v2 to perform VPN (PPTP/GRE) passthrough. I decided on the PPTP VPN Server that comes with Windows 7 as it is easy enough to install and my Win7-laptop already has the client built in as well. I forwarded the necessary ports (1723,500) to the correct IP. It worked perfectly when connecting within my LAN, but I was baffled for a few hours as to why it couldn't connect when coming in through the WAN. Apparently, OpenWRT doesn't support VPN passthrough out of the box, but there are packages and kernel modules that can enable this feature. Google results and other documention are mediocre at best as far as configuring VPN passthrough on OpenWRT. However, in my hours of hacking away at this, I discovered that some of the necessary packages require a newer version of the kernel (2.6.37.6) than what Gargoyle currently uses (2.6.32.27), so they won't even install. Dead End.

Has anyone been successful in getting VPN passthrough to work with Gargoyle or OpenWRT? It seems like it should be simple enough?! Please help!!

For kicks, I swapped in my WRT54GL (running tomato) and my VPN setup simply worked out of the box! Ugh.

(BTW, Eric and team - this latest build has been working great!)

mix

Post by mix »

VPN passthrough applies to vpn clients not servers. I am able to connect with my win7 vpn client from behind my gargoyle nat router to an outside pptp vpn server without issue.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

ng3700v2

Post by ng3700v2 »

Thanks mix. Did you have to do anything "special" for your vpn client connection?

Does the output of your "iptables -L" command show anything regarding: pptp, gre, protocol 47?

The "lsmod" output from my WRT54GL running tomato has these extra kernel modules loaded:
nf_nat_pptp
nf_conntrack_pptp
nf_nat_proto_gre
nf_conntrack_proto_gre

I've got to believe that the presence of these kernel modules are what make it possible on tomato. But like I mentioned above, I can't get these on gargoyle due to the kernel version discrepancy...

(I must admit that my knowledge of VPN is somewhat limited [if you couldn't tell already]) :|

madwlabby

Post by madwlabby »

Hello!
I have got a Tp-link 1043nd router with 1.3.13 Gargoyle.
I tried to install some package. For example nano, usbutils and they didn't work. But If I downgrade to the firmware to 1.3.11 These package works very well.

- Nano throws segmentation fault, lsusb missing some filmes.

HelderMF

Post by HelderMF »

Eric wrote:HelderMF: Thanks for the update -- that really helps. I found an issue with port forwarding when UpNP or DMZ were being used (already fixed in the repository), but I was wondering if anything else was going on since you didn't say you were using either of those features.

I'll see if I can figure out what's going on with the no-ip ddns.
Eric: I'm not using uPNP nor DMZ. Sorry I forgot to tell this...

Regarding the DynDNS problem, it seems it stopped happening. DynDNS has been working very well for the past days. I don't know what happened... Could it be that pressing the button "force update" one first time solved the problem (restarting the code responsible to detect IP changes)? Now it is detecting very well when WAN IP has changed. Very strange...

Eric: Did you find out what is blocking the current network load to show in the upload QOS classes table?

Regards.
Helder

HelderMF

Post by HelderMF »

Hi,

Just to say it happened again... The Dynamic DNS service isn't working again for the past 5 days. As I said earlier, my IP gets changed every 36h so it is not updating again...

This time the "force update" button didn't work as a workaround also... It kept saying "updated successfully" or something like that, but the time of the last update remained the old date and the IP was not updated.

I had to edit the service and save settings again to gargoyle detect it changed and be able to update the no-ip.org dns name successfully.

Hope this information helps you Eric.

Regards,

Helder

NL2009

Post by NL2009 »

I have also noticed that the Dynamic DNS service is not updating automatically on 1.3.13.

This was also a problem in most of the previous releases I have used. In previous (stable) releases I found that it would work for about a month (?) and then stop updating.

I would need to delete and re-enter the Dynamic DNS settings to get it to work again.

Other than this, Version 1.3.13 is working perfectly for me. I was able to upgrade from 1.3.10, using pscp, without any issues. Note that my WRT54GL router has double the normal RAM...
Regards, Nigel

viperpiper

Post by viperpiper »

Using a TL-WR1043ND and found I'm at 96% of my Ram. Also noticed the bandwidth distribution graphs are missing.