Eric wrote:Please elaborate on this: "Still defaults to BG wireless and selecting different wireless options."
I have heard reports of instability, but have not heard reports of wireless defaulting to B/G. Please let me know your setup (with screenshots if possible) and how you tested this (how do you know it's defaulting to G only wireless?).
Also, if you could post *working* wireless configuration files from vanilla OpenWRT Chaos Calmer builds, since you say it is working there, that would be very helpful in tracking down what is going on. If it is working in default Chaos Calmer, it should be possible/straightforward to fix the issue.
What I mean by default to BG is that when you select to turn on wireless in the GUI, the pre-selected option is BG. This would not be a problem since the router broadcasts at N even with that option, but to me it's the giveaway that it's going to have wireless stability problems (tested on 1.7 thru 1.8; did not test on 1.9 since I couldn't get a WAN IP for Internet access). Additionally, if you change it from BG, to BGN or B, it continues broadcasting at N. On 1.6.2 and below (yes, I tested a few of them) it defaults to BGN on the GUI, and if you change it to BG or B, it'll switch as told (as in, it'll actually stop broadcasting N if told... not that I would do that).
The wireless stability issues seem related to hostapd (or whatever controls that). The errors I've noticed on 1.7-1.8 are either "deauthenticated due to local deauth request" or "deauthenticated due to inactivity" by hostapd. Once that occurs, the wireless signal strength will stay strong, but TX rate / MCS index will drop to zero, making the connection useless. Simple wireless or router restart fixes it.
For what it's worth, I also tried the Polish Eko Gargoyle build on the router. The odd thing is that 184.108.40.206 image also has the same wireless issues (both GUI and stability) present on regular Gaygoyle's 1.7+, despite being based on Attitude Adjustment. I looked at his changelog and it's the following - not sure if one of those changes could have started the wireless issues.
2014-09-27 Version 220.127.116.11
- CHANGE: update drivers ath9k
- CHANGE: adding support for 3G LED TL-WR842ND v2
2014-08-28 Version 18.104.22.168
- NEW: adding "thepiratebay" to monitor Address
- CHANGE: With the upgrade while maintaining the configuration transition to an IP address such as a router is set to not 192.168.1.1
- CHANGE: dropbear updated to version v2014.65
- CHANGE: Default off ANI (adaptive noise immunity) driver wifi
Synchronization number of the current issue of Gargoyle
Below are two working wireless configurations. First one is Gargoyle 1.6.2 and the second one is OpenWRT CC.
Both work fine. I tried copying the OpenWRT wireless config to 1.7.2 but it didn't fix. The only disconnect I see in the OpenWRT config is that it says hwmode is 11g... while the router broadcasts at wireless N and the only wireless mode option in the GUI is wireless N (and wireless is rock stable).
Lastly, below are the settings I use when I setup the router.
Thanks for reviewing this. I hope that helps. Let me know if there's anything else I can provide to assist.