Email notifications plugin revisited

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

nbexiga

Re: Email notifications plugin revisited

Post by nbexiga »

HI
i have changed the /etc/msmtprc file to tls_trust_file but in the email.js i did not find the same string too...

i still got the error below

Tue Sep 15 15:54:34 2015 user.err msmtp: host=smtp-mail.outlook.com tls=on auth=on user=xxxx@xxxx.pt from=xxxx@xxxx.pt xxxx@xxxx.pt recipients=xxxx@xxxx.pt smtpstatus=501 smtpmsg='501 5.5.4 Invalid Email address' errormsg='envelope from address xxxx@xxxx.pt xxxx@xxxx.pt not accepted by the server' exitcode=EX_DATAERR
Success

what do i have to do to email work?
thanks

Dustinizer

Post by Dustinizer »

Not sure what version of gargoyle you guys are on. The changes that I explained above worked for me with my version of gargoyle 1.8.0 using gmail.

I'm connecting to gmail's smtp server and these are my settings in the file /etc/msmtprc ...

host smtp.gmail.com
port 587
tls on
tls_trust_file /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

I've been receiving emails every day now after I made the changes. Also if you are using google's 2-step authentication, note, that you'll have to generate an app password.

nbexiga

Post by nbexiga »

HI

i am using 1.8.0 version too. and the email is outlook.com

the server config is

Outgoing (SMTP) Server
Server address: smtp-mail.outlook.com
Port: 25 (or 587 if 25 is blocked)
Authentication: Yes
Encrypted Connection: TLS
User name: Your email address
Password: Your password

i did not find the string in /plugin_root/www/js/email.js

is it needed to work?
i still with the same error when doing the test email...
;(

charlie

Post by charlie »

Dustinizer wrote:Not sure what version of gargoyle you guys are on. The changes that I explained above worked for me with my version of gargoyle 1.8.0 using gmail.

I'm connecting to gmail's smtp server and these are my settings in the file /etc/msmtprc ...

host smtp.gmail.com
port 587
tls on
tls_trust_file /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

I've been receiving emails every day now after I made the changes. Also if you are using google's 2-step authentication, note, that you'll have to generate an app password.
Hi Dustinizer,

Arghh i cannot make this work. I am trying to configure settings for gmail but without 2 way verification. Gargoyle is latest 1.8 v on TL-WR1043ND v1. As i understand you, when we configure email settings & schedule and save changes, msmtprc file is overwritten with "tls-cert-file /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt", so after that i have to change this to "tls_trust_file /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt" and so on every time when i make some changes for email configuration.
So, changes in /plugin_root/www/js/email.js fix this permanently, but there is no "tls-cert-file" string in /plugin_root/www/js/email.js (downloaded latest plugin). Is it necessary to reboot router at some point? Also is scheduled mail that you received logged in system log, and if possible please share your email.js file.
Thanks for help.

nbexiga

Post by nbexiga »

Hi

issue fixed ;)

i created an account in gmail only for use of the router smtp ;)

Thanks

charlie

Post by charlie »

nbexiga wrote:Hi

issue fixed ;)

i created an account in gmail only for use of the router smtp ;)

Thanks
Nice, but you should share little more details about it :)

nbexiga

Post by nbexiga »

hi

there is nothing specific and i did not change nothing on the /etc/msmtprc

just fill in the information of the gmail smtp server

smtp.gmail.com
Port 587

username and password for autenhtication

charlie

Post by charlie »

Fixed finally and now rocking with Gargoyle :)

In case someone having the same issue:
I have replaced "ntls-cert-file" string in /plugin_root/www/js/email.js with "ntls_trust_file" (tnx Dustinizer) and after that configured email and saved changes which caused that /etc/msmtprc file is generated with proper parameters - "tls_trust_file /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt" instead of "tls-cert-file /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt"
But that was not all in my case - /usr/lib/gargoyle/email.sh script had only read permission and that was reason why script wasn't executed on schedule. After i changed that and added execute permission email notification on schedule started to work normally.

b0xBR

Post by b0xBR »

Hi!

Unfortunately, It's not sending neither at testing nor scheduled. I'm using a standard configuration as follow.

account default
host smtp.server.com
port 587
auth plain
user sendmail@server.com
password "password"
auto_from off
from sendmail@server.com receivemail@server.com

I couldn't find any logging which could show me any issues.
There's just one more thing. Email tab is duplicated at GUI.

Any help will be very appreciated.

Regards.

dpint

Post by dpint »

Hello!

I have just received a message that multiple people are reporting bugs with this plugin.

After reviewing the plugin code I noticed that Eric merged an old version of it. I kept the newest version on my server. Anyway I have now sent a pull request on Github to introduce it in offical repository.