Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 5

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cezary
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 5

Postby Cezary » Sun May 05, 2019 5:25 am

Lantis wrote:Which platforms? I've only ever seen it "crash" on mvebu, but it still works.

ramips/mt7620 -> Xiaomi Mi Router 3G
ipq40xx -> AVM Fritz!Box 4040

Lantis
Moderator
Posts: 4999
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:33 am
Location: Australia

Re: Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 5

Postby Lantis » Sun May 05, 2019 5:46 am

I don’t have either of those targets so can’t test.
I note that ramips is missing nft-core and nft-nat.

I don’t have any insights at the moment to be honest.
Routers: Various ar71xx/mvebu/x86-64
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases

Cezary
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 5

Postby Cezary » Sun May 05, 2019 7:11 am

I also cannot reproduce this on my Xiaomi. Strange problem, but RomanHK had it, some of my users, so problem somewhere exists.

User avatar
RomanHK
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 4:18 pm
Location: Czech Republik

Re: Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 5

Postby RomanHK » Sun May 05, 2019 8:08 am

Errors are known with the IMQ driver and OpenWrt has dropped this driver and replaced it with another. I read a lot of users (OpenWrt) have a problem with this driver - it would be good to look at it and fix it.

As of r25641 qos-scripts dropped the use of IMQ (package iptables-mod-imq – Intermediate Queueing Device). Its successor is IFB (Intermediate Functional Block device), (requires package: kmod-ifb and the scheduler action act_connmark included)...
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/net ... ic_shaping

In r25641 iptables-mod-imq (Intermediate Queueing Device) was removed and is not supported any longer. It's successor is kmod-ifb. See Intermediate Functional Block device...
https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/net ... .scheduler
Turris Omnia with Gargoyle 1.11.x
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.11.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

Lantis
Moderator
Posts: 4999
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:33 am
Location: Australia

Re: Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 5

Postby Lantis » Sun May 05, 2019 8:14 am

They are not direct replacements of each other, and IMQ does some things that IFB is not capable of.
It would be possible, but not a trivial replacement.
I'd also rather do it in consultation with @pbix
Routers: Various ar71xx/mvebu/x86-64
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases

User avatar
RomanHK
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 4:18 pm
Location: Czech Republik

Re: Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 5

Postby RomanHK » Sun May 05, 2019 8:31 am

Lantis wrote:They are not direct replacements of each other, and IMQ does some things that IFB is not capable of.
It would be possible, but not a trivial replacement.
I'd also rather do it in consultation with @pbix

I would also leave the IMQ driver but it has to look at it @pbix, why it sometimes doesn't work and fix it. (I assume that @pbix is a co-developer of QoS in Gargoyle)
Turris Omnia with Gargoyle 1.11.x
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.11.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

User avatar
RomanHK
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 4:18 pm
Location: Czech Republik

Re: Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 5

Postby RomanHK » Tue May 07, 2019 4:46 pm

Cezary wrote:
Lantis wrote:I’ve got a list to look at. Restrictions and IMQ are on it.
Just a bit short on time at the moment.

The same problem has several of my users, on various platform. One of them says that changing the priority of imq does not solve the problem.

Please try one more setting with the command via ssh and then restart the router:

Code: Select all

ln -s /etc/modules.d/46-ipt-imq /etc/modules-boot.d/46-ipt-imq

The first is to load the IMQ driver from /etc/modules-boot.d/ and load the other modules after loading from /etc/modules.d/
Turris Omnia with Gargoyle 1.11.x
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.11.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

tester
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 4:15 pm

Re: Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 5

Postby tester » Wed May 08, 2019 4:54 pm

RomanHK wrote:Hmm, I confirm, it helped me to delay the start-up time of the IMQ driver - as you can see, other machines are too tight and the time is not enough.


Can you please clarify, do you always have that error message 'Error hooking IMQ' when you get non-working NAT after reboot or not? Just in the begining you said 'there is nothing in Syslog or Kernellog' but later you said that there is that error. Did you ever seen, that there is no errors about IMQ in the logs, but NAT still doesn't work after reboot?

PS: Same (imo) problem mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11988#p53164

User avatar
RomanHK
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 4:18 pm
Location: Czech Republik

Re: Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 5

Postby RomanHK » Thu May 09, 2019 2:36 am

tester wrote:
RomanHK wrote:Hmm, I confirm, it helped me to delay the start-up time of the IMQ driver - as you can see, other machines are too tight and the time is not enough.


Can you please clarify, do you always have that error message 'Error hooking IMQ' when you get non-working NAT after reboot or not? Just in the begining you said 'there is nothing in Syslog or Kernellog' but later you said that there is that error. Did you ever seen, that there is no errors about IMQ in the logs, but NAT still doesn't work after reboot?

PS: Same (imo) problem mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11988#p53164

Yes, it behaves differently and time plays a big role. It depends on when and how the IMQ driver is loaded.
a) Sometimes the IMQ driver is loaded in parallel with the NAT driver and then the Internet is not running, the log does not show errors.
b) NAT is loaded first and then the error "Error hooking IMQ" appears in the log.
c) IMQ driver loads first, then NAT driver (not concurrently) and internet works.

This means that the IMQ driver must be loaded first and then the NAT driver, if the opposite is the case, an error will be displayed.

P.S. Try this procedure. This should load the IMQ driver first. viewtopic.php?f=14&p=53188#p53180
Turris Omnia with Gargoyle 1.11.x
Linksys WRT3200ACM with Gargoyle 1.11.x
TL-WR1043ND v2 with Gargoyle 1.10.0

tester
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 4:15 pm

Re: Gargoyle 1.11.0 Release Candidate 5

Postby tester » Thu May 09, 2019 12:36 pm

RomanHK wrote:a) Sometimes the IMQ driver is loaded in parallel with the NAT driver and then the Internet is not running, the log does not show errors.
b) NAT is loaded first and then the error "Error hooking IMQ" appears in the log.
c) IMQ driver loads first, then NAT driver (not concurrently) and internet works.


Got it, thanks. But what output of 'cat /proc/net/ip_tables_names' will be in cases 'a)' and 'b)'?


Return to “Show / Tell / Contribute”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests