Adblock Plugin

Want to share your OpenWrt / Gargoyle knowledge? Implemented a new feature? Let us know here.

Moderator: Moderators

pythonic

Re: Adblock Plugin

Post by pythonic »

On at least some devices, the adblock lists don't seem to get updated as expected. I think this comes down to a path issue in the adblock cron entry.

The standard crontab entry set by /usr/lib/adblock/runadblock.sh is:

Code: Select all

0 4 * * 0 sh /plugin_root/usr/lib/adblock/runadblock.sh
However on affected devices the runadblock.sh script doesn't exist on that path in which case I think the cron entry should look like:

0 4 * * 0 sh /usr/lib/adblock/runadblock.sh
If you're using the adblock plugin and the lists don't appear to be getting updated every Sunday, you can make the change at line 18 in /usr/lib/adblock/runadblock.sh from

CRON="0 4 * * 0 sh /plugin_root/usr/lib/adblock/runadblock.sh"
to

CRON="0 4 * * 0 sh /usr/lib/adblock/runadblock.sh"
and then disable then re-enable the plugin. You can also make a temporary change to the cron entry itself with an ssh connection and the command

crontab -e
but be warned that it requires knowing how to use the vi text editor (unless you've made other arrangements)...

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Would that be a device which has had adblock installed as a default package?
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

In the examples I've looked at, yes.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yea, i did a bang up job on that one (being my first plugin). It only works if it's installed as a plugin, and only if you don't use extroot. What a mess.
Needs a rewrite honestly :(
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

pythonic

Post by pythonic »

While a re-write may well be warranted, I wouldn't be too harsh on yourself ;) as it seems to work ok within it's limitations and I don't think many have hit either the pre-installed or ext_root related problems.

If you want to check any of the other plugins that aren't usually built into official images, a "kitchen sink" image on a platform that doesn't usually have space restrictions might be handy for testing for such bugs - x86/amd64 would be one where this might be useful and my RPi builds are like this.

aioyups

Post by aioyups »

To be honest I actually prefer your adblock plugin than those provided by openwrt to the poin that I copy the script from my gargoyle device, edit some script and put it in my other openwrt based device.
The reason is because the script file is so small and it didn't eat ram space after running because it didn't run as a service. The cron just run it every specific time and be done. As for the other function actually it's never used by me.

The thing that I think necesarry is the ability to download from any other file source format like abp, dnsmasq, domain, and hosts. That is what I edit in mine.