Bridged AP

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

ispyisail

Bridged AP

Post by ispyisail »

Hi Eric

Any chance of "Bridged AP" option

http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/bridgedap

DoesItMatter

Re: Bridged AP

Post by DoesItMatter »

I think this would be possible via CLI

I will flash from 1.4.5 to OpenWRT 10.03.1 and see if I can
configure this via the LuCi interface.

If I can, I'll print out the config files so people can try/use that
if the want via Putty for now.
:twisted: Soylent Green Is People! :twisted:
2x Asus RT-N16 = Asus 3.0.0.4.374.43 Merlin
2x Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH V1 A0D0 = Gargoyle 1.9.x / LEDE 17.01.x
2x Engenius - ESR900 Stock 1.4.0 / OpenWRT Trunk 49400

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

I've done it using CLI

just wanted GUI support :)

Vaako

Post by Vaako »

Hi,

Are you talking about Point-to Point Bridge setup?
Than I realy like to now how you do this via CLI

In the past i have used two WAP54G and used them for a PtP connection, the AP has to carry each other MAC addresses and no other can in come between, i would like to do this with two Gargoyle AP's 8-)

Any help on this is welcome

Mabe i'll post this as a Gargoyle feature request.
Regards,
Vaako
2x fonera 2200 & 2201 Gargoyle 1.45 | 1x WZR-HP-G300HN Gargoyle 1.45

rjcrowder

Post by rjcrowder »

I know it's a little bit of an old thread, but I wanted to chime in on this as well.

I just upgraded my TP-Link WR1043ND to run Gargoyle (switched form dd-wrt)... In order to get a wireless AP working with a wired connection to the main router (in this case my IPCop firewall), I had to disable the WAN port, disable DHCP and set gateway, dns resolution, etc to point to IPCop. All of this worked fine... The to get the WAN port assigned to the LAN, I then did the following...

uci del network.@switch_vlan[1]
uci set network.@switch_vlan[0].ports="0 1 2 3 4 5t"
uci commit

All of that to say - it could be easier! Since you can do a wireless bridge in the UI, I think it would also make sense that you be able to do a "wired" access point via the UI (as I described and as described in the OpenWRT wiki).

Basically, what would make sense is a third option on the "Device Configuration" radio buttons. When selected, it should prompt for the appropriate settings and then display an option for assigning the WAN port to the LAN (like the current "Wireless Bridge" radio button selection does).

mix

Post by mix »

I guess this topic is the same as I was trying to describe here:

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... f=5&t=2572

I really think Gargoyle needs a simple way to accomplish this from the web interface.
WRT54GL v1.1
Gargoyle 1.4.7

rjcrowder

Post by rjcrowder »

OK... tonight I played around for a little while on how to do this in the UI. I think the easiest thing to do is the following.

1. Add a "Wired Access Point" option to the radio buttons on the basic setup screen.
2. When the new radio button is selected
- hide the "internet / WAN" section
- continue to display the current "Local Network / LAN" and "Wireless" sections.
- display a new section that just has a dropdown for what to do with the LAN port (either disable or assign to LAN similar to what is done when the wireless bridge radio button is selected).
- disable the DHCP option from the left menu

I was able to get most of the UI work done and displaying correctly. Unfortunately (at least as of tonight), I wasn't able to figure out how to get the UI to save the selections correctly.

Vaako

Post by Vaako »

I wil try this, Thx!
Regards,
Vaako
2x fonera 2200 & 2201 Gargoyle 1.45 | 1x WZR-HP-G300HN Gargoyle 1.45

rjcrowder

Post by rjcrowder »

Are you going to work on the UI changes? I just changed "basic.sh" and "basic.js" to properly display the radio button display/hide the proper sections (including the new section).

What I'm struggling to figure out is what controls the reading of values to preset the screen and form fields (in basic.sh). Also, when you click "Save", it looks like most of the values on the screen (form fields) result in UCI updates of the config files... I'm just not familiar with how the screens were written and I'm having fun trying to figure it out.