Suggestion: Active Congestion Control enhancements

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

blindbox

Suggestion: Active Congestion Control enhancements

Post by blindbox »

First of all, I'd like to say how impressive the active congestion control really is. It really helps on my online gaming.

However, the only problem I seem to face is the fact that active congestion control slows down your download speed. I understand this must be done but I can think of some improvements, thus here is my suggestion.

Can the ACC (I'll call Active Congestion Control that for this post now) be dynamically enabled? I.e. make it so that it only enables when it detects traffic from a specific QoS group.

During times when I'm not online gaming, I prefer to have maximum download speed, so I'd have to go into the router and disable it.
TP-LINK WR1043ND : Currently on Gargoyle trunk builds

pbix
Developer

Re: Suggestion: Active Congestion Control enhancements

Post by pbix »

blindbox,

I am an online gamer myself and maintaining an acceptable ping while in online was a major driver in the design of the ACC. I also thought a lot about how to give you the highest download speeds when possible.

In my view the ACC already has this functionality. When you see the state change to 'FREE" then the controller has removed all restrictions on the link speed and the throttle is wide open. This happens automatically.

When you say "I prefer maximum download speeds when not gaming" that is the same as saying "I do not care about QoS and fairness unless I am gaming". You have to chose between QoS and maximum download speeds. By moving in and out of the 'FREE' state the ACC is effectively turning QOS on and off which leads to the result you request.

Define only two classes on your download screen. One class is for your game console, you route all your real-time gaming traffic through this class using appropriate rules. This class uses the minimum bandwidth field and leaves others default. All other traffic on your network goes through a second "default class".

The ACC will then do what you want and only be active when both classes are active. If only one class is active then QoS has no meaning. If there was only one car on the road we would not need traffic lights.

It is a little known fact that Gargoyle is the best router out there for online gaming. :)
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM