Support for TP-Link TL-WR710n

Suggest improvements and new features for Gargoyle.

Moderator: Moderators

heilbronn

Re: Support for TP-Link TL-WR710n

Post by heilbronn »

The doc corrections look fine.

However, I still can't build ath79.usb_large images for the TL-WR710N.
I was adding lines to the files in targets/ath79/profiles/usb_large but it seems to me this is not enough to enable a build for TL-WR710N v1 or v2.1. Do you maybe have some more pointers for me please!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Is the build completing?
You also need to add “tplink_tl-wr710n-v1-” (and/or v2.1) to the profile_images file to make it copy the file out. Without doing this step it should still be in the build root somewhere.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

heilbronn

Post by heilbronn »

You also need to add “tplink_tl-wr710n-v1-” (and/or v2.1) to the profile_images file to make it copy the file out. Without doing this step it should still be in the build root somewhere.
I had added the following to the target files: [EDITED MY ORIGINAL POST TO LATER ADD THE 2 LINES MISSING AS MENTIONED IN THE FOLLOWING POST]

Code: Select all

i@CSL:/opt/gargoyle$ grep -i wr710 /opt/gargoyle/targets/ath79/profiles/usb_large/*
/opt/gargoyle/targets/ath79/profiles/usb_large/config:CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ath79_generic_DEVICE_tplink_tl-wr710n-v1=y
/opt/gargoyle/targets/ath79/profiles/usb_large/config:CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ath79_generic_DEVICE_tplink_tl-wr710n-v2.1=y
/opt/gargoyle/targets/ath79/profiles/usb_large/config:# CONFIG_TARGET_ath79_generic_DEVICE_tplink_tl-wr710n-v1 is not set
/opt/gargoyle/targets/ath79/profiles/usb_large/config:# CONFIG_TARGET_ath79_generic_DEVICE_tplink_tl-wr710n-v2.1 is not set
/opt/gargoyle/targets/ath79/profiles/usb_large/config:# CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ath79_generic_DEVICE_tplink_tl-wr710n-v1 is not set
/opt/gargoyle/targets/ath79/profiles/usb_large/config:# CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ath79_generic_DEVICE_tplink_tl-wr710n-v2.1 is not set
/opt/gargoyle/targets/ath79/profiles/usb_large/profile_images:tplink_tl-wr710n-v2.1-squashfs
/opt/gargoyle/targets/ath79/profiles/usb_large/profile_images:tplink_tl-wr710n-v1-squashfs

/opt/gargoyle/targets/ath79/profiles/usb_large/config:CONFIG_TARGET_ath79_generic_DEVICE_tplink_tl-wr710n-v1=y
/opt/gargoyle/targets/ath79/profiles/usb_large/config:CONFIG_TARGET_ath79_generic_DEVICE_tplink_tl-wr710n-v2.1=y
Is the build completing?
The build (`make ath79.usb_large`) completes but I can only find the following binaries:

pi@CSL:/opt/gargoyle$ find ath79-src -name \*squashfs-sys\* -size +500k
ath79-src/bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-buffalo_wzr-hp-ag300h-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-buffalo_wzr-hp-g450h-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-dlink_dir-825-c1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-dlink_dir-835-a1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-glinet_gl-ar150-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-jjplus_ja76pf2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-netgear_wndr3700v2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-netgear_wndr3800-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-tplink_tl-wr1043n-v5-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-tplink_tl-wr1043nd-v4-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-tplink_tl-wr842n-v3-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/bin/targets/ath79/generic/openwrt-ath79-generic-wd_mynet-n750-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-ath79_generic/tmp/openwrt-ath79-generic-buffalo_wzr-hp-ag300h-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-ath79_generic/tmp/openwrt-ath79-generic-buffalo_wzr-hp-g450h-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-ath79_generic/tmp/openwrt-ath79-generic-dlink_dir-825-c1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-ath79_generic/tmp/openwrt-ath79-generic-dlink_dir-835-a1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-ath79_generic/tmp/openwrt-ath79-generic-glinet_gl-ar150-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-ath79_generic/tmp/openwrt-ath79-generic-jjplus_ja76pf2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-ath79_generic/tmp/openwrt-ath79-generic-netgear_wndr3700v2-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-ath79_generic/tmp/openwrt-ath79-generic-netgear_wndr3800-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-ath79_generic/tmp/openwrt-ath79-generic-tplink_tl-wr1043n-v5-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-ath79_generic/tmp/openwrt-ath79-generic-tplink_tl-wr1043nd-v4-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-ath79_generic/tmp/openwrt-ath79-generic-tplink_tl-wr842n-v3-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
ath79-src/build_dir/target-mips_24kc_musl/linux-ath79_generic/tmp/openwrt-ath79-generic-wd_mynet-n750-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
Do you maybe have a hint what I'm doing wrong?
Shall I start over?
Or may try an ar71xx build ?
Would you try a build on your side to make sure there is nothing fundametally impossible in building a TL-WR710 image?
Thanks!
Last edited by heilbronn on Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

heilbronn

Post by heilbronn »

Ah, I think I noticed my mistake :x :
I will also add

CONFIG_TARGET_ath79_generic_DEVICE_tplink_tl-wr710n-v1=y
CONFIG_TARGET_ath79_generic_DEVICE_tplink_tl-wr710n-v2.1=y
to `/opt/gargoyle/targets/ath79/profiles/usb_large/config`, restart and report back here ...

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

heilbronn wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:39 am
Ah, I think I noticed my mistake :x :
I will also add

CONFIG_TARGET_ath79_generic_DEVICE_tplink_tl-wr710n-v1=y
CONFIG_TARGET_ath79_generic_DEVICE_tplink_tl-wr710n-v2.1=y
to `/opt/gargoyle/targets/ath79/profiles/usb_large/config`, restart and report back here ...
No, remove those. The only changes required are:
config

-# CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ath79_generic_DEVICE_tplink_tl-wr710n-v1 is not set
-# CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ath79_generic_DEVICE_tplink_tl-wr710n-v2.1 is not set
+CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ath79_generic_DEVICE_tplink_tl-wr710n-v1=y
+CONFIG_TARGET_DEVICE_ath79_generic_DEVICE_tplink_tl-wr710n-v2.1=y
profile_images

+tplink_tl-wr710n-v1-
+tplink_tl-wr710n-v2.1-
This is the error:

[mktplinkfw] *** error: images are too big by 4606630 bytes
usb_large is not going to work for an 8mb device. That was probably ambitious to say the least.
Make these changes to the regular usb profile and it will all work.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

heilbronn

Post by heilbronn »

No, remove those. The only changes required are:
Thanks, I will retry!
usb_large is not going to work for an 8mb device. That was probably ambitious to say the least.
So I will retry with the "usb" profile.
But: Finding the CONFIG variables for the TL-WR710N in the *usb_large* profile misled me into believing this would work...

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

The config have a lot in common. They all are in the same family, and in this case the same subfamily. As far as OpenWrt is concerned, they belong together.

Gargoyle splits images by capability and included default software. Something akin to:
- default: smallest images, no extras, no usb
- usb: usb, very few extras (enough to establish an external plug-in root to add more features)
- usb_large: usb and typically 16MB or more flash. Most extras included by default.
- usb_large_nand: like usb_large, but technically part of a separate nand subfamily (on this we agree with OpenWrt)
- ath10k: like the usb images, but includes the ath10k drivers. These drivers are huge, so putting them in their own profile saves a lot of space everywhere else
- ath10k_large: ath10k with all the extras

Ramips is a little different with lots of different subfamilies. The others are all variants on this type of theme.

I apologise, but I don’t know how you learn this stuff except by experience and exposure to it. It’s not really documented, it just is there. 7 years looking at this stuff, I’m still learning.
There’s probably a few pearls of wisdom on the forums that don’t get gobbled into the wiki.

heilbronn

Post by heilbronn »

I apologise, but I don’t know how you learn this stuff except by experience and exposure to it. It’s not really documented, it just is there. 7 years looking at this stuff, I’m still learning.
There’s probably a few pearls of wisdom on the forums that don’t get gobbled into the wiki.
Thats fine, exploring stuff and making things work is also the fun part ;)

BTW: in your previous post, you suggested adding the following to _profile_images_:

tplink_tl-wr710n-v1
tplink_tl-wr710n-v2.1
From looking at the other entries in my /opt/gargoyle/targets/ar71xx/profiles/usb/profile_images
it should probably rather be:

-tl-wr710n-v1-squashfs
-tl-wr710n-v2.1-squashfs
and in /opt/gargoyle/targets/ath79/profiles/usb/profile_images:

tplink_tl-wr710n-v1-squashfs
tplink_tl-wr710n-v2.1-squashfs

So in both cases with an extra "-squashfs" and for ar71xx with an extra hyphen ?! Does that make any sense? Could there be a mistake in your previous post?
(Building takes hours on my machine and its still runinng...)

heilbronn

Post by heilbronn »

You also wrote:
I'm documenting all my steps leading to a (hopefully) successful build for the TL-WR710 on Debian 11 on WSL and I'm more than willing to share the MD file here in the forum. Hope this helps!

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Yes adding a leading hyphen is fine and a closing squashfs as well.
There is definitely a naming change in ar71xx which I didn’t check, but sounds right. I’d recommend abandoning ar71xx (it won’t exist in future versions).