Disappointing bufferbloat

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

tapper

Re: Disappointing bufferbloat

Post by tapper »

With active congestion control off.

6th Dec, 2015
22:00
7th Dec, 2015
00:00

I dont think that active congestions control is good for my connection.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

orangetek

Post by orangetek »

Hi tapper. I had the same issue and it turned it out that my isp was dropping pings regardless of link saturation. This may not be the case for you but i would monitor your pings just to make sure. I have modified ACC to ignore ping timeouts and it has helped a lot.

pkm

Post by pkm »

Volaris wrote:
mckman wrote:Hello,

I would love to improve my bufferbloat issues but when I click on the dropbox links, they say that that're no longer available. Can someone repost the settings?

Thanks in advance.
See following image:
https://snapr.pw/i/29cca34693.png

His had Fast set to 70% and Normal to 30%. I kept it 50/50... either should work because Fast bandwidth will never reach that (since it's just for <512 byte traffic). Same setup for Upload and Download QoS, just make sure your upload/download bandwidth at bottom is set to accommodate your Internet connection speeds. With those settings Gargoyle will automatically and dynamically split available bandwidth between devices.

My bufferbloat went from F to D.

Any more ways to make it better?

greyfreak19

Post by greyfreak19 »

F to D. mine went from F to A sometimes B.idk why yours wasnt that big of a improvement and i tested and no not by tweaked the settings classes or the rules but ACC either find the best possible ping target for ofcourse best possible performance from your qos also in MINRTT mode bufferblaot should be lower and if your using a DSL modem see if there is a dsl settings in your modem and select G.DMT as the dsl modulation defautl most likely is ads2+ which is great for 8mb+ speeds but it gives higher pings and higher bufferblaot atleast for me tough oyu can try altough maybay there is another way to reduce bufferblaot FQ_CODEL is one but by my info gargoyle by dafault uses SFQ rather then FQ_CODEL essentially the settings in this thread are supposed to give the same effect as fq_codel

tapper

Post by tapper »

orangetek wrote:Hi tapper. I had the same issue and it turned it out that my isp was dropping pings regardless of link saturation. This may not be the case for you but i would monitor your pings just to make sure. I have modified ACC to ignore ping timeouts and it has helped a lot.
Hi is it simple to modify ACC?
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

pkm

Post by pkm »

greyfreak19 wrote:F to D. mine went from F to A sometimes B.idk why yours wasnt that big of a improvement and i tested and no not by tweaked the settings classes or the rules but ACC either find the best possible ping target for ofcourse best possible performance from your qos also in MINRTT mode bufferblaot should be lower and if your using a DSL modem see if there is a dsl settings in your modem and select G.DMT as the dsl modulation defautl most likely is ads2+ which is great for 8mb+ speeds but it gives higher pings and higher bufferblaot atleast for me tough oyu can try altough maybay there is another way to reduce bufferblaot FQ_CODEL is one but by my info gargoyle by dafault uses SFQ rather then FQ_CODEL essentially the settings in this thread are supposed to give the same effect as fq_codel
Thanks for your suggestion I'll try it out. Do DSL line profiles make a difference too? I currently have mine set to "dsl2 standard" and there is also profiles like adsl standard or adsl/2 low latency.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

DSL low latency will disable interleaving on your connection. The ping gain here is good, but it can make some connections unstable. You also trade off some max speed.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

pkm

Post by pkm »

It could be because i deleted the default profiles that you get from QoS from the first time? Should i add those back? Things like port 80,443 and the voip/slow class profiles.

pkm

Post by pkm »

greyfreak19 wrote:F to D. mine went from F to A sometimes B.idk why yours wasnt that big of a improvement and i tested and no not by tweaked the settings classes or the rules but ACC either find the best possible ping target for ofcourse best possible performance from your qos also in MINRTT mode bufferblaot should be lower and if your using a DSL modem see if there is a dsl settings in your modem and select G.DMT as the dsl modulation defautl most likely is ads2+ which is great for 8mb+ speeds but it gives higher pings and higher bufferblaot atleast for me tough oyu can try altough maybay there is another way to reduce bufferblaot FQ_CODEL is one but by my info gargoyle by dafault uses SFQ rather then FQ_CODEL essentially the settings in this thread are supposed to give the same effect as fq_codel
So i changed my modem to G.DMT and now getting results at C hehe. Getting very incremental changes here. Ill play around with my line profiles and see if i get something better.

pkm

Post by pkm »

Changing to adsl1 low latency profile gives me grade A on bufferbloat!