Gaming QoS - Need Advice

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

pbix
Developer

Re: Gaming QoS - Need Advice

Post by pbix »

The priority comes from the minimum bandwidth setting. Games have a fixed and small bandwidth requirement and this is how it is specified.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

tyler

Post by tyler »

Oh, I did not know that priority was determined by the minimum bandwidth. I have read the wiki configuring documentation pretty thoroughly but I never caught that part. So does this mean that a class that has a minimum bandwidth setting will get priority over one that doesn't? Also, will a class that has a higher minimum bandwidth setting than say another class with a min. setting get priority? I was under the impression that priority was also determined by the list order from top to bottom of classification rules. Which takes precedent a class with a min bandwidth setting that is applying to a rule at the bottom of the list or a class that has no min. setting applying to a rule at the top? My apologies for any misunderstandings as I have just bought your Gigabyte Router and rather new to this and thank you for your services.

tyler

Post by tyler »

Also, Is okay to set the min. bandwidth setting higher than the game or application will actually use in order to get the highest priority? Let me know if I should refer to or move these replies to a new topic. Thanks

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Please refer to the documentation here. http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=qos

Minimum bandwidth and other QoS features are well discussed there. If you have a specific question about something written there then post it on this thread.

I will say that "priority' is not a term we use much in Gargoyle QoS. That is a DD-WRT QoS concept and as we all know here DD-WRT QoS does not work.

Think instead of bandwidth allocation.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

tyler

Post by tyler »

Well. I had read that page several times. It is very helpful and I'm sure much thought and work was put into it to alleviate unnecessary questions, but please understand that I am a novice in interpreting such text. I read it again not thinking in terms of priority and it does clarify some things particularly regarding min. bandwidth however I am still unsure of how to achieve my objectives. I tried playing with multiple settings with poor results and have since reset back to default and not yet configured until I learn how to properly do so first. Thus, I should not post screenshots....

Basically, I am trying to ensure that I can play League of Legends (LOL) online game or stream HD youtube videos without interference from my kids and brothers internet usage since I pay for internet and bought the router. Here are my questions and/or problems. -
1) To ensure good bandwidth allocation for my own computer's Youtube streaming, should I remove all the default classification rules (ex. source ports 80, 443, & 53) and create a classification rule for only my IP and assign it to a class with larger bandwidth % and min. bandwidth settings and then create classification rules for for all other connected devices (except VOIP) and apply them to a different class with smaller bandwidth % and zero min, bandwidth?
2) When creating a QOS (download) classification rule with a destination IP, should I also include a source port (ex. 80) in that rule?
3) Should I create a gaming class in QOS (download) with rules for each of the LOL destination ports defined (ex. 5000 - 5500 UDP etc.) and set the min. bandwidth for that class?
4) Should I also create the same type of class with LOL source ports defined in QOS (upload)?
5) And finally but least important, I know I need to determine the LOL game bandwidth usage and set the router to give it slightly more min. bandwidth, but if I were to set the min. bandwidth for way more than the game requires, will that be a problem in running the game?

These are my understandings from the documentation and countless forum topics. I am hoping that I am on the right track or don't need too much redirection. Thank you sincerely.

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Unfortunately it is not so simple to setup a QoS system, you will have to learn. Start by adding one rule and one class for your game to the default setup, get that working and then add complexity as you learn. You cannot learn all these things at once.

Regarding 4, yes you should add rules and classes in both your upload and download for your game.

Regarding 5, if you enter too large a number for minimum bandwidth it will not affect your game play.

Yes you should post screen shots, especially of the ACC section. It is using an appropriate ping target and running well?

I am not going to tell you what ports to use for your game, I do not know your game. Add the rule and test it. When you have it right your class will show traffic only when you are playing your game. I think most games are UDP for online gaming so often that is also a good thing to add to your rule in addition to the IP address of your console. These two alone will be a good start.

Again focus on this one simple task. And next time post results and not just questions. There is no one way to answer your questions, it depends on your situation.

And start your own thread for this.
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

LMP

Post by LMP »

Wisse wrote:Hey, I'm quite pleased with my Dota 2 QoS config. You can give it a go yourself.

Here you can see my Upload rules. There are quite a few of them. Dota 2 is the first one on the list (list gets evaluated from top to bottom, so order matters very much!)
Same goes for my download rules. Dota 2 is the first one again.

I have ACC on, without non-standard target or manual control for them.

You don't need as many rules as I have. Two, shown on your screenshots are enough, as long as Dota 2 (and other games) gets it's own class with Min BW.

I only use two ports for two PCs. I found some info that Dota 2 uses port 27005 by default. I used Launch Options (Steam -> Library -> Right click on Dota 2 -> Properties -> General -> Set launch options) to force fixed port on a second PC with "+clientport 27006" command.
EDIT: You might have to use config.cfg for clientport settings according to Steam support link above. I do think that it works if it's put only in Launch Options tho, since my game always skips Valve logo and opens console, which is what I also forced with some commands.
I would set fixed ports for all of your computers, probably avoiding default (eg. 27008, 27009, 27010) in case more friends join you on your network. I would still start with 27005 when writing rule (eg. 27005-27010).
There's no need for the broad range that you use now. You have to write rules that are as unique as possible to your application in order to minimize random interference from other connections.

There's one more very important thing that I noticed. Dota 2 can use up quite a lot of bandwidth. I didn't really look into it, but I suspect that the bursts might come from in-game voice chat. This is very important because my ping used to spike insanely when Dota 2 total (both PCs) bandwidth usage exceeded its Min BW setting.
I guess your Min BW is OK, since you won't really need QoS when all three of you are playing, but will suffice when two or less are.

For TS, you can look into my Skype to Skype settings, where I just push it in higher-than-default class, with more BW available, or you can create something similar to Dota 2 rules with Min BW. You could possibly put it in the same class as Dota 2. Obviously you have to swap destination and source port compared to Dota 2 rules, since you know what server uses instead of a client.

Try it out and let us know how it goes.
I try to change the clientport but that doesn't work, with launch +clientport command or changing .cfg file.

They call these ports:
Steam Client
UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)
But at support forum (http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=15261):
What protocol and ports does Dota 2 use?
Dota 2 uses the UDP protocol and communicates on ports 27015 through 28999 to our dedicated servers. By default, your client opens UDP port 27005 or your computer to connect to the game servers.
Checking the Status > Connection List at my Router didn't notice any 27005 using, but some at 27000-28999.

The problem is, if I set 27000-28999 to QoS for my fix IP others programs take that port.

There a way to check what port dota.exe are using?!

Thank you.