Wireless device quotas

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Bedlore

Wireless device quotas

Post by Bedlore »

Hi all

Gargoyle newbie here with some questions. I've tried to find answers myself but wasn't able to. I would like to know if Gargoyle can help with the following.

We have a community type farm with a 3G connection with very limited bandwidth, we do like to allow visitors to use their WiFi devices while visiting but need to limit their bandwith quotas. For example allow each device to have 50MG per day for example. Is this possible and how?

Also, as I bricked by Linksys I need to buy a new device, the router will be purely used to allow WiFi access so doesn't need any physical ports except one for itself of course. Can anyone recommend anything?

Thanks

ispyisail

Re: Wireless device quotas

Post by ispyisail »

For example allow each device to have 50MG per day for example. Is this possible and how?
yes, by IP and MAC address (device only)
Also, as I bricked by Linksys I need to buy a new device, the router will be purely used to allow WiFi access so doesn't need any physical ports except one for itself of course. Can anyone recommend anything?
OpenWRT/Gargoyle has been a bit shaky with wireless. The current version is the best yet but is still under testing.

For rock soild results I use

Code: Select all

internet -- RouterStation Pro (Gargoyle) -- Ubnt Bullet (wireless in bridge mode)

Bedlore

Post by Bedlore »

Thanks ispyisail
ispyisail wrote:yes, by IP and MAC address (device only)
I don't really want to have to list IP's manually each time someone connects, can this be applied to the entire DHCP range for example?

Code: Select all

internet -- RouterStation Pro (Gargoyle) -- Ubnt Bullet (wireless in bridge mode)
Looks good, Ubnt don't seem to be available in Australia unfortunately :(

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Looks good, Ubnt don't seem to be available in Australia unfortunately :(
try

http://www.gowifi.co.nz/
I don't really want to have to list IP's manually each time someone connects, can this be applied to the entire DHCP range for example?
I sure you can but I need to check

barefootguru

Post by barefootguru »

Bedlore wrote: I don't really want to have to list IP's manually each time someone connects, can this be applied to the entire DHCP range for example?
What's easier is to define high limits for all your usual devices, then set a low limit for 'all hosts without explicit quotas'. You can set this 'everything else' quota per device or for all other devices pooled.

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=quotas