Not Getting Full Speed

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

outdoor

Not Getting Full Speed

Post by outdoor »

So I have QoS setup and have assigned 99% to my laptop. I pay for a 10Mbps service, so for total bandwith i pu 15000 kbits/s

When i test my internet speeds when connecting directly to the radio, bypassing the router. I get between 8 and 9.7 Mbps.

When i connect to router, i get between 3 and 5 Mbps

What could the issue be?

ispyisail

Re: Not Getting Full Speed

Post by ispyisail »

router model?

most likely router CPU limitation.

outdoor

Post by outdoor »

TP link Archer C7.

CPU Limitation? Don't follow. Why would any CPU limit how much traffic can pass through, particularly such a low amount

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

Do you have min RTT (ping times) and Active Congestion Control in Download QoS enabled? If so, try disabling any min RTT settings then run a consistent download (say, a Linux distribution ISO) for about two minutes and see if your speed goes up.

With some ISPs, min RTT + Active Congestion Control leads to lower speeds.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

outdoor

Post by outdoor »

I don't have either of those enabled

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

outdoor wrote:I don't have either of those enabled
Then your QoS is setup wrong. If you have 15000 for available bandwidth the router thinks there's 15Mbps available when there's only 8-10Mbps available. So either change your available bandwidth to the lowest you usually get (8000 or lower) OR enable Active Congestion Control and Gargoyle will automatically setup the proper available bandwidth. However, you'll have to run a 2+ minute download to see the available bandwidth go up.
QoS Tip: Don't complicate your QoS settings. Gargoyle evenly splits available bandwidth between active devices as needed. Just delete all your classification rules and leave only one normal service class and you're done. No more arguing over bandwidth.

outdoor

Post by outdoor »

So the lowest I've been getting is like 2mbps. Tried setting to that, no faster

Tried 3.5 then 4

Tried 8 and now i seem to get faster test speeds. Seems a bit of a crap shoot.

I tried enabling ACC but that did not improve speed. Does that work in conjunction with max speed? are there other settings required?

What do you mean download something and test? What do i test or see results?

Volaris

Post by Volaris »

outdoor wrote:So the lowest I've been getting is like 2mbps. Tried setting to that, no faster

Tried 3.5 then 4

Tried 8 and now i seem to get faster test speeds. Seems a bit of a crap shoot.

I tried enabling ACC but that did not improve speed. Does that work in conjunction with max speed? are there other settings required?

What do you mean download something and test? What do i test or see results?
ACC requires saturating your bandwidth for it to work; it's not instant.

If you use ACC, for total download bandwidth you can put a little over what you have available... so anywhere from 10000 to 15000 would be fine. It'll auto adjust your max available bandwidth.

But if you do not use ACC, you absolutely cannot put more bandwidth than what is available at any time, otherwise it just breaks down QoS and results in high pings and low speeds.

If I were you, I would enable ACC (since that's a major reason to use Gargoyle, after all) with a total download bandwidth of about 12000. Close the tab and start downloading a big 1GB file from the website below:
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download

After a few minutes you should see ACC working something like this in your download QoS router page. This is mine; I have a 12Mbps connection so I have total download bandwidth at 15000 and it auto adjusts it to 11XXX.

---

Lastly, if you want to see if there's anything wrong with your router vs QoS settings, just disable QoS for both upload and download. Then check the speed. If speed is normal (which I assume) then it's just your QoS settings that are off.

outdoor

Post by outdoor »

my congestion control Status is showing nothing while it has been downloading the 1gb file for sometime.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Please share screenshots of your configuration.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.