Can some existing connections withstand a "Block all" restriction?

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

rseiler

Can some existing connections withstand a "Block all" restriction?

Post by rseiler »

I can't demonstrate this myself in testing (1.9.2) on my machine, but someone else on my LAN (also a wired connection) is managing to continue using *some* programs--though not most--once a restriction kicks in. For example, he's able to continue Skype chats indefinitely, but the Web browser won't load pages.

This continues indefinitely until (for sure) the router is restarted, at which point no connectivity is possible if it's still within the restriction period. Or if the firewall is restarted (not tested yet, but I assume so).

Is this plausible? I have my doubts. There may be some shenanigans going on, but if there are, I don't know how to account for the definite partial blocking when the rule kicks in and the fact that all is blocked for the given devices once the router restarts.

For context, this happened in straight OpenWRT, too.

Example:

Code: Select all

config restriction_rule 'rule_11'
	option is_ingress '0'
	option description 'PC1Restriction'
	option local_addr 'D0:50:xx:xx:xx:xx,3C:DF:xx:xx:xx:xx'
	option active_weekdays 'mon,tue,wed,thu,fri'
	option active_hours '00:00-07:00'
	option enabled '1'

ispyisail

Re: Can some existing connections withstand a "Block all" restriction?

Post by ispyisail »

really

Is this still the case?

rseiler

Re: Can some existing connections withstand a "Block all" restriction?

Post by rseiler »

I tried to coordinate with the person who reported this problem to me, but I haven't been successful in doing so due to his erratic availability. If I ever am, and we can still reproduce it, I'll report back.