Trouble Shooting QOS

Report issues relating to bandwith monitoring, bandwidth quotas or QoS in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

tals

Trouble Shooting QOS

Post by tals »

I've been having issues with gaming lag for the last few weeks which maybe related to me upgrading to 1.9.1 or be unrelated. Just in the early stages of investigating this but thought I would open it up to anyone else having issues with QOS recently. The lag takes the form of I get a very good ping and then it will spike very badly. This effects both the wifi that my son is on and the powerlines which I am on.

So this morning I disabled the upload and download of QOS and did a speed check. This came out at 12mb so lower than I had thought - which was good as I was aware that setting the download too high in the controls would negate the QOS. Ping was good and speed was relatively consistent between 11 and 12. So I set the speed to 10000 and tested again with QOS. Ping was 400+ for seemingly no reason, I was on the non rtt group so I set it to rtt. Ping was then sporadic between low 20 to 400+. I then turned QOS off and again ping was stable at 20.

In terms of QOS how I group it is I have a QOS group for each person in the house and I put all of their devices into each persons group.

Router I have a Archer C7 so not too bad, I do have a Netgear 3700 as well so I will dust that off and put a different version of Gargoyle on so I can start getting closer to whether I have an ISP issue or a router one.

I appreciate I need todo some more testing , but thought it could be useful to have any other feedback people may have
Netgear wndr3700 v2 Gargoyle 1.8.0
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 1.10.X (Built 20180122-0707)

Lantis

Re: Trouble Shooting QOS

Post by Lantis »

What is your upload speed?
Remember that the internet is a two way street.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

tals

Post by tals »

Yes that is very valid. The upload is currently 1mb and I had it set to 650.

When I was doing the testing I couldn't see any activity on the upload. I do need todo some more testing but the ping degradation seemed to occur when QOS download was in play

pbix
Developer

Post by pbix »

Are you using ACC when this occurs? How are you measuring these ping times?

I do not know of any way that the router can delay ping requests or responses. To do so would require it to store the data somewhere. It can drop them entirely in which case you get no response. Can you see if they are really delayed or just not responding?
Linksys WRT1900ACv2
Netgear WNDR3700v2
TP Link 1043ND v3
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1
Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH2
WRT54G-TM

tals

Post by tals »

I think I resolved it but I'm not sure whether it was the router or the isp. I called the isp and they said they could detect an issue on the line and so reset it which apparently improved the speed.

I was still getting ping issues so I started clearing the default qos upload and changed it to user based. Got some very odd values in this ie some if the values changed to variables. So I removed it all, saved and redid. That seemed to sort it. I did reduce my upstream to 500 from 550 (it's 1mb up) which also seemed to help.

So in summary unfortunately I did too many things to properly identify what caused it, it was always odd as the acc ping always looked ok (even when I set it to say Google) but that wouldn't be the case within the network to the outside world both on WiFi and powerline

tapper

Post by tapper »

If your qos is working now mate try and raze your upload speed by 25 30 until it starts to degrade. You want to get as much of that speed as you can with out it messing up.
ACC is not good for all ISPs. I am on virgin UK and it does not work for my connection, but then again i did not try and work out why I just turned it off and pings went back to good again.
Linksys WRT3200ACM
NETGEAR Nighthawk R7800
NETGEAR R6260

tals

Post by tals »

That's a good tip thanks

Re acc, the last time it didn't work it was because my connection was degrading below the level acc would go down to. There was a fault on the line that meant it's connection which should be 14 would go before 1. When it's working I find the acc invaluable as I have quite a low connection and a lot of streaming devices on the network. on yours I'd try a different ping target as the basic premise is quite straightforward, ping degrades reduce speed.