Disappointing wireless data transfer speeds on WDR3600

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

2Tall

Disappointing wireless data transfer speeds on WDR3600

Post by 2Tall »

Running Gargoyle 1.7.2 on TP-Link WDR3600. My 2.4 Ghz device reports a link speed of 72 Mbps and the data transfer rate with an Internet-based test server is about 36 Mbps. The 5.0 Ghz device reports a link speed of 300 Mbps and the data transfer rate is about 70 Mbps. I have used at least 2 different test servers with rather consistent results. The bandwidth for the 2.4 Ghz band is set to 20 Mhz and the 5.0 Ghz band is set to 40 Mhz. I've tried changing channels and even disabling QOS to no avail. Wired devices run at the rated download speed of about 100 Mbps.

Lantis

Re: Disappointing wireless data transfer speeds on WDR3600

Post by Lantis »

olease try a later version.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

2Tall

Post by 2Tall »

Lantis wrote:olease try a later version.

Perhaps I'll try 1.8.1 being that it is currently listed as the most stable version available and report back. Thank you for the suggestion.

2Tall

Post by 2Tall »

Successfully upgraded to 1.8.1. There appears to be a consistent improvement of about 33% for the data transfer rate on the 2.4 Ghz device as the data transfer rate is now about 48 Mbps (up from 36 Mbps). The data transfer rate on the 5 Ghz device is about the same at 70 Mbps. The data transfer rate for wired devices remained the same around 100 Mbps. Thanks.

Lantis

Post by Lantis »

Ok.
You could try 1.9.X if you like. Or stick where you are.

In general, wifi performance is largely governed by the underlying openwrt improvements and architecture.
http://lantisproject.com/downloads/gargoyle_ispyisail.php for the latest releases
Please be respectful when posting. I do this in my free time on a volunteer basis.

2Tall

Post by 2Tall »

After reading a few articles, it would appear that maybe I'm now actually closer to real life wireless data transfer rates for my given configuration. Therefore, I'm going to stay here for now.

I just left a little Tip in the Gargoyle donation jar. Wish I could have left more. Perhaps I will be able to in the future. Thanks for the advice.