OpenVPN Connection List

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

JeffinTx

OpenVPN Connection List

Post by JeffinTx »

I'm new to Gargoyle, but loving it. I'm struggling with OpenVPN though. I have a working Gargoyle router, a TP-Link TL-WR1043 purchased directly from Eric with his original configuraton 1.8.1.
  • I have OpenVPN running as a server. Good.
    I have a laptop connected through one of the LAN ports, a USB in the shared storage, and a Desktop (running Fedora 23) connected through the VPN server. All good.
    The VPN'd desktop can get shares from the laptop, can get the shared storage from the USB, can even get to the Gargoyle GUI through its LAN port. All good.
    The Connection List on the GUI shows my laptop and shows the VPN'd desktop, albeit as "unknown". Okay.
    The only problem I have is that the OpenVPN Status shows "No Clients Connected." Even when I ssh into the router (from the VPN'd machine or the laptop, both work) I see that the entire /var/openvpn folder is missing.
I have screenshots if needed. Have I done something wrong? Is this a bug?

JeffInTx

ispyisail

Re: OpenVPN Connection List

Post by ispyisail »

There are a few things in your post that don't make sense

are you using an OpenVPN client from here?

https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-sour ... loads.html

JeffinTx

Post by JeffinTx »

Without manually compiling and deploying, which is a pain, I can't use any of those versions on my Fedora desktop. I'm using the NetworkManager plugin for OpenVPN, successfully with other OpenVPN servers.

I also get in with my iPhone, running the OpenVPN app on iOS 9.2.1

Again, the connections seem okay, but the router doesn't show them to be there. Nothing in the Connection List on the GUI and no folder or symlink in a shell display.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Is the problem the server or client?

I'm suggesting using a windows machine with the listed client above.

If that fails its most likely a fault with the server

etc
etc

JeffinTx

Post by JeffinTx »

Okay, so I found a Windoze machine and loaded the OpenVPN client from their page. I downloaded the VPN config from the router and opened the ovpn file. I got an IP address from the router in the correct range and can ping hosts behind the router, even see internal web pages on the router LAN. All good, right?
But when I look on the router at Status/OpenVPN Status, it shows "No Clients Connected". Same as before. Oh, and I tried this both with other clients connected and without. When I SSH into the router, I note that the symlink for /etc/openvpn/current_status points to /var/openvpn/current_status, which is missing.
I'm hesitant to punt and re-image the router, because I got it directly from Eric and have not changed the image. I do have another router, same model, that I bought and imaged myself. It seems to be fine.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Thanks for reporting

Except for the "Status" everything else works?

1.6.2 is the most stable firmware

JeffinTx

Post by JeffinTx »

Yes. Everything else seems to be okay. Only other issue may be that iOS devices connect but cannot access hosts behind VPN...still testing that.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

Only other issue may be that iOS devices connect but cannot access hosts behind VPN...still testing that.
But we now know the problem is on the client end?

JeffinTx

Post by JeffinTx »

How would that be? Must be on server end. No clients, whether Windows, Linux, or iOS show up as connected.

ispyisail

Post by ispyisail »

JeffinTx wrote:How would that be? Must be on server end. No clients, whether Windows, Linux, or iOS show up as connected.
Except for the "Status" everything else works?
I was under the assumption that when you connected with a windows PC everything worked except the "display status" of connected.