TL-WR1043ND won't stay connected to wifi wan

Report wireless and/or network connectivity problems in this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

erkme73

TL-WR1043ND won't stay connected to wifi wan

Post by erkme73 »

I've narrowed it down to 'client+ap'. If it's rebroadcasting as an AP, the internet connection dies for all LAN devices (wired or wifi).

It'll actually work for about a minute, then suddenly there is no more internet access on any LAN device. I can still access the router, or LAN IPs, but it's as though the wifi wan connection doesn't exist. Yet, the status page still shows a connection on the WAN side.

If I leave it as client only, it stays connected.

I'm connecting to an Asus RT-N56U, with the latest stock firmware.

I'm using 1.7.1, after having the same issue with 1.6.2.

I've never experienced an inability to set up a secondary SSID/AP. For now, only wired devices can access the LAN.

Is there some incompatibility with Gargoyle and the Asus stock firmware on the 56u?

ektus

Re: TL-WR1043ND won't stay connected to wifi wan

Post by ektus »

I don't know where the problem is, but I've got similar problems between a TL-WR1043ND V2.1 running 1.6.2 or 1.7.X in client mode and a TL-WR702. See http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/vi ... 2&start=10 for my findings and workaround.

The WLAN connection will drop once an hour and every time I copy the logread output from the terminal window in a SSH session. As I've got a different brand of access point on the host side of the WLAN connection, it looks like a problem in Gargoyle, perhaps specific to the 1043ND V2.

I don't have much traffic on that connection, so can't say if that has any influence. Anyway, running the watchdog once a minute is working good enough for me for the time being. In your case, try to ping your main router in the watchdog and issue "wifi" as custom script.

Regards
Ektus.

erkme73

Post by erkme73 »

Thanks for the reply. I'm too inexperienced to know how to use SSH, scripts, or watchdog commands. I'll have to study up on it. To be honest, it's why I settled on Gargoyle... It seemed to be considerably more limited with the standard GUI, but it just worked for what I needed.

That aside, what is particularly frustrating, is that in my case, it seems to be this combination of the 1043ND and the Asus router/AP. When I use the 1043ND to connect to my TMO or VZ hotspots, or my brother's Asus RT-N66U running Tomato, it works perfectly.

I have this setup in my RV, and use it to connect to campground internet systems. A common place is my in-law's internet connection when we stay at their property. In the past, it's always worked (on their generic WRT54G running Tomato). But since my last stay here, I bumped them to the Asus RT-N56U. It's not able to run Tomato, so I left it as bone stock. It has the latest firmware from Asus, but for some reason it just doesn't play nice with Gargoyle when Client+AP is selected.

For now, so long as I use just Client, and do not rebroadcast with its own SSID, it's rock solid. Unfortunately, that means wifi devices in the coach still have to use mobile data (or connect to the Asus router directly).

erkme73

Post by erkme73 »

In the mean time, I've tried a few more things:

With Client+AP on:

1) Changed SSID of +AP to match the main router - no difference
2) Changed the channel from 1 over to 11 on the main router - no difference (no other AP in range)
3) Disabled security/encryption on +AP - no change

On a separate note, I see that my NIC on my laptop (wired) registers the Gargoyle router as "DHS" - a name I picked when I first set up the Gargoyle. It's now defaulted back to "Gargoyle" under the Identification tab of the Gargoyle router. Yet, my NIC still identifies the LAN connection as DHS. Is that an issue?

ektus

Post by ektus »

erkme73 wrote:Thanks for the reply. I'm too inexperienced to know how to use SSH, scripts, or watchdog commands. I'll have to study up on it. To be honest, it's why I settled on Gargoyle... It seemed to be considerably more limited with the standard GUI, but it just worked for what I needed.
No need for SSH to start the watchdog. Go to System/Plugins in the GUI, and check if Ping Watchdog is installed. If not, do so:
Plugin install dialog.
Plugin install dialog.
Gargoyle_Plugins.png (138.8 KiB) Viewed 9399 times
Afterwards, go to Connection and enable the watchdog. Set the IP of the main router in the first line, and "wifi" in the last as shown in the second screenshot:
Ping watchdog configuration.
Ping watchdog configuration.
Gargoyle_Ping_watchdog.png (153.26 KiB) Viewed 9399 times
Doing this, your router will ping the access point once a minute (or once every three minutes with default setting) and restart the WLAN connection if the Ping doesn't return.
erkme73 wrote: That aside, what is particularly frustrating, is that in my case, it seems to be this combination of the 1043ND and the Asus router/AP. When I use the 1043ND to connect to my TMO or VZ hotspots, or my brother's Asus RT-N66U running Tomato, it works perfectly.
(...)
For now, so long as I use just Client, and do not rebroadcast with its own SSID, it's rock solid. Unfortunately, that means wifi devices in the coach still have to use mobile data (or connect to the Asus router directly).
I'm just a normal user and sadly can't offer more help here. Gargoyle offering client support is my main reason for using it. Hopefully the bug will be found and eliminated soon :)

Regards
Ektus.

erkme73

Post by erkme73 »

You're already testing my limits... It's not installed. You say 'install it'. This is where I need some hand holding ;)

ektus

Post by ektus »

erkme73 wrote:You're already testing my limits... It's not installed. You say 'install it'. This is where I need some hand holding ;)
Okay, here you go. Your Gargoyle router must have an active internet connection.
In System/Plugins, scroll to the bottom and click the button "Refresh Plugins". This will order your router to download the list of available plugins.
Next, find the "Ping Watchdog" entry in that list and install it. It may not be available for all versions, though. If I remember correctly, it's missing in 1.6.2. I'm using an user-supplied experimental build from the 1.7.X series, where the watchdog is available.
Once it's installed, proceed as described in my last post.

This is just a workaround to automate the re-establishing of the WLAN link. It will not solve the underlying problem, and if the link goes down very frequently, it may not be a viable solution. In my case, it's good enough as the only traffic on the WLAN link is periodic retrieval of some temperature data from a stable.

Regards
Ektus.

pmerrill

Post by pmerrill »

I've a similar problem with a TP-Link TL-WDR4300. On a reset everything is ok. However, after a couple of days, the 2.4GHz wireless will fail to connect. I have another wireless access point as well connected to the router and it's fine as is all the wired connections to the router. My mobile phone can see the router but just can't connect on the 2.4GHz channel. In fact, nothing can connect on wifi except for the wired connections.

Funny thing is I have changed nothing for over 6 months, it's strange that it's happening now. It's also repeatable. I power cycle and it's fine for a few days and then it starts acting up.

Ideas?

I'll turn logging on to see if I can catch the error but still would not mind some input from the Forum.
Paul
Gargoyle 1.11.x on TP-Link Archer C7 V2 H/W

erkme73

Post by erkme73 »

ektus wrote:
erkme73 wrote:You're already testing my limits... It's not installed. You say 'install it'. This is where I need some hand holding ;)
Okay, here you go. Your Gargoyle router must have an active internet connection.
In System/Plugins, scroll to the bottom and click the button "Refresh Plugins". This will order your router to download the list of available plugins.
Next, find the "Ping Watchdog" entry in that list and install it. It may not be available for all versions, though. If I remember correctly, it's missing in 1.6.2. I'm using an user-supplied experimental build from the 1.7.X series, where the watchdog is available.
Once it's installed, proceed as described in my last post.

This is just a workaround to automate the re-establishing of the WLAN link. It will not solve the underlying problem, and if the link goes down very frequently, it may not be a viable solution. In my case, it's good enough as the only traffic on the WLAN link is periodic retrieval of some temperature data from a stable.

Regards
Ektus.
Thanks for the instructions. I've got this TP set up as the router in my motor coach - so I don't use it that often. This week, I'm out on the road again, and rediscovered my frustration with constantly dropping WAN when using the 'client+ap' feature.

I installed the watchdog plug in - but the disconnects happen so frequently that it's really not helpful. Any files larger than a few MB that are downloading get interrupted.

At wits end, I finally bailed on Gargoyle. It's a shame, really, as I paid top $$ a couple years ago to get this 1043 pre-loaded. It's just not ready for prime time - even with the latest 1.7.2 firmware.

I installed DDWRT's latest supported version for the 1043ND V1, and followed these instructions: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Cl ... e_Wireless

Granted, it's not as simple as clicking as "scan" button to find your WAN AP/router, but, it works 100% - even as a client PLUS AP.

Of course, the added benefit is the flexibility and customization offered by the DDWRT interface. It's A LOT more flexible and configurable directly from the GUI.

I'd love for Gargoyle to work as intended. I just got tired of waiting.

erkme73

Post by erkme73 »

Just coming back to confirm 48 hours of SOLID, fast WIFI internet connection to my father-in-law's router/AP using DD-WRT. Haven't had a single dropped connection - either wired on my 1043 LAN or via the virtual SSID WLAN I set up.

I even switched it to my TMO hotspot/tethering, and it ran without hiccup. 15GB DL'ed yesterday alone.